cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest free upgrade to high speed fibre

Itandjm

Latest free upgrade to high speed fibre

I’d ,just like to say that I was delighted when Plusnet announced a free upgrade in fibre speeds.  Indeed that evening I achieved 86Mb/s.  However it has been short-lived back to usual slow 24 if I’m lucky.  What do they have to say about that?

8 REPLIES 8
CJ18
Grafter

Re: Latest free upgrade to high speed fibre

At 20mbps I dream of reaching 24, let alone anything else.

Although I appreciate your upgrade to 80+ didn't 'stick', how did it come about?  What is supposed to change to net you such a huge speed increase?

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"I’d ,just like to say that I was delighted when Plusnet announced a free upgrade in fibre speeds."

When did this happen?

All I am aware of is an increase in upload to 10mb/s for those, like me, on the previous 40/2 package. Nothing about download speed "free upgrades".

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I have no clue what the Op is referring to there has been no upgrade on the download only the upload has changed from 2Mb to 10Mb, and how they got 86Mb is beyond me the max the FTTC cab does is 80Mb and if the OP only gets 24Mb normally there is no way they would get near the max 80Mb never mind 86Mb sounds to me they were dreaming or just trolling.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

This is news to me. With that said, I've tested your line and I can see your service is provisioned on the 40/10 product.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps

Was the e-mail you've received in relation to this? If so, we've moved those on the Unlimited Fibre 40/2 packages to the wholesale product of 40/10. Basically, it's just your upload speed that would've changed.

With regards to the speeds you're seeing on your end, it's possible that the 86mbps was an incorrect result given by the speedtester you've used as that certainly isn't possible through an FTTC connection from us.

I'd expect you to see more than 24mbps normally.

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or using an ethernet cable?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Itandjm

At last someone from Plusnet who knows something.  Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes I think you may be right; and I was barking up the wrong tree; it is the upload speed that has been improved.  That said I did get an 86 MPS once but generally it's a miserable 25-30.  I attach a list of results from my Ookla speed tests in CSV format.  I mostly connect via wifi to my router with a phone but I also have a laptop connected directly.

Ian Jackson

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back in touch Ian.

What speeds do you generally get on your laptop wired to the router? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Itandjm

Hi,

It's true I generally get good speed connected via ethernet; 35-38.  But it's my wifi setup that slows things down, I think, for other devices; iPhones, iPad etc.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd run through the steps in the WiFi troubleshooting guide here

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet