cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency spikes

mrpoth

Latency spikes

I've seen a few other people post the same thing on the forums but I've not found a solution yet so please point me to one if it exists.

I'm trying to do some online gaming but I'm getting terrible latency spikes which means that the games are essentially impossible to play.

I'm connected via Wi-Fi, and I cannot use an Ethernet cable. I've seen several posts on this forum saying they experience the same with a wired connection though anyway so I'm not convinced this is the problem.

I've attached a sample trace for reference.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Latency spikes

Hi @mrpoth

I've tested your line tonight and the tests are showing a fault on the line, so I've raised this across to our suppliers, and we've been given an estimated response time of by 23/02/22 23:59:59 for an engineer to investigate further. We'll provide an update as soon as we know more, via the support ticket I've raised on your account Here.

Looking at the traceroute you've done, this though appears to show high latency at your router, which may suggest the issue is between your router & your devices. Appreciate you've said you can't use a wired connection, but I think in this instance it could be especially useful as a tool in an effort to try to get to the bottom of the issue.

You can ignore the the time-out on hop 3 as the occasional time-outs are to be expected, because some hops "rate limit ICMP", which means that they'll be prioritising the routing of traffic, rather than responding back to your ping/traceroute. For the same reason, I would also ignore the high latency at hop 6 (that's outside of our network anyway).

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrpoth

Thanks @Gandalf , I'll keep an eye on the support ticket then.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @mrpoth, I'm really sorry for the problems with your service!

I have just had a check up on the fault and contacted our suppliers to see if there's any update. They have advised that at present, an engineer is scheduled to attend externally tomorrow to work on this. Please note however, this is subject to change but we'll check back for further updates on Friday for you.

I'm really sorry for the disruption caused in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team