cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency, scalar and connection problems

dickonross

Latency, scalar and connection problems

My wife's work laptop has a long-running problem connecting. It uses Zscaler VPN but my own laptop with Global Protect has no such problem. And all our machines that connect without VPN work just fine. She has asked her IT department and they said it is not Zscaler but some problem with latency on the Plusnet service. I don't really understand it but this is what they said:

We are aware that users with internet provided by Virgin have issue with Zscaler and for this we advise to purchase a booster, but I have checked your IP and it is Plus net and so far there has not been issues reported.

By looking at your connection report (see attached)  there is a latency and this is caused by your internet provider nothing to do with Zscaler, can I check if you have been in touch with Plusnet to report the issue with your internet connection?

And they sent the attached report. 

Anyone know what this means and how I or Plusnet can try and fix it please?

Many thanks

Dickon

4 REPLIES 4
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Latency, scalar and connection problems

HI @dickonross, thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear you've been seeing connection issues when using a VPN recently. Testing over your connection from this side I'm not seeing anything out of place or that could be being the latency or connection issues you've been seeing. Is the laptop you've been seeing issues on connected via wireless or Ethernet? I ask as wireless and wireless interference could be behind the latency you've been seeing and could be having a knock on effect causing the VPN issues.
I'd recommend then if you haven't already to connect the laptop via Ethernet and seeing if the issues look it persist.
Let us know how it goes.

dickonross

We tried that. Same problem. It says it's connected but it isn't. Won't load any web pages or anything. 

Dickon

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to us @dickonross, I am sorry that the issue is still ongoing.

If not done so already, could you please ask the administrator of the VPN endpoint to check their logs and confirm:-

- Whether or not traffic from your IP address is hitting their server.
- Assuming it is, what else do the logs contain?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @dickonross
The response from the IT dept looks like nonsense to me.
The attachment shows figures of 13 ms, 7 ms and 6 ms.
Even if they were all added together that would be 26 ms.
That should not significantly impact a VPN used for home working.
Regards
Richard