Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency problem?

FIXED
peterthebike
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Latency problem?

Internet and catchup services have been responding slowly. Download speeds appear good. Having run a speed test it appears there may be a problem with latency.

Latency.png

Could anyone advise please?

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Latency problem?

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

The latency shown in the test you've attached isn't too bad and shouldn't be causing your issues.

Can you confirm if you've been connected over a wired or wireless connection while you're having issues?

If it's a wireless connection can you try a wired connection to see if that has the same issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
peterthebike
Dabbler

Hi,

I've been trying a wired connection and the performance has been the same I'm afraid.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've retested your line and we still aren't seeing any issues.

As the speeds and latency are fine we'll need more info to narrow down the cause for this.

Can you advise what streaming services you're having issues with and if it's happening all the time or just at certain times?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
peterthebike
Dabbler

It is with catchup services on our YouView box. We rarely use this outside evenings so I can't really comment about the times it is most affected. We will often be watching a programme on catchup and after 30 minutes it can suddenly freeze as if there was a buffering problem. But it never recovers and we have to restart the YouView box.

Normal web browsing is generally slow also. I have just loaded the BBC News page for the first time today and it took 12 seconds to finish loading. It used to load completely almost instantly.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the information.

Is it possible for you to try it during the day just to see if that's the same?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
peterthebike
Dabbler

Fix

The performance was still poor during the day.

However, power-cycling the router appears to have solved the problem.