cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues

Maxamus53
Dabbler

Latency issues

Recently my latency has about doubled. I used to get about 12ms to google and now I'm getting 23ms+

This issue seems even further exacerbated in games, I'm almost always the only player with a "bad" ping, playing with friends who are also based locally to me.

I'm connected to my router via Ethernet and my latency to my router is <1 ms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

22 REPLIES 22
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Latency issues

Do a speedtest - sometimes increased latency is caused by a general speed problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Maxamus53
Dabbler

My speed is worse than usual. But it doesn't seem poor enough to make latency an issue.

8846675030.png

VileReynard
Hero

Assuming that is substantially worse than normal, raise a fault with Plusnet.

As an example I get:

So if your normal speed is 60+ then it is likely to be caused by external factors.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Maxamus53

Thanks for highlighting this.

Could you run a trace route to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com via a wired, ethernet connection and post the results here?

If you could also confirm whether you're a fibre or fibre extra customer that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

@Maxamus53

If you could provide your account username via a PM we'll be able to check your account and confirm your existing speed/package without you posting that here.

Thanks

Dave

Maxamus53
Dabbler

Hi @RandallFlagg 

Here is a copy of my trace route. I'll also PM you my username, but I've actually since managed to log this fault with the support team and apparently they're going to get back to me, I previously wasn't having any luck with them which is why I came here.

tracert1.PNG

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Maxamus53,

Thanks for getting back to us with this. Having taken a look at that screenshot, we're not seeing anything out of the ordinary and it seems that the latency issues are separate to the lower than usual speeds. On the speed front, I've responded to the Faults Ticket that had been raised on your account, which can be viewed here. In regards to the latency, are you (or anyone else in the property) using the broadband whilst you're carrying out these ping tests? I'd also ask if you're noticing the issues only at certain times of the day?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Maxamus53
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back to me. The latency issues exist at all times of the day when nobody is using the internet. One device connected via ethernet.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us, @Maxamus53.

We've just updated the ongoing ticket - Please let us know here once you've sent a response.

Maxamus53
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa 

I've replied to the ticket but I'm missing some information.

I've been told that the speed issues are not related to the latency issues, so are we still looking into solving the latency also?

I've been told that the connection is banded, however it's stable according to the logs. If an engineer gets called out and there is no fault, then I get charged. Am I correct in thinking that the connection would only be banded if there was an existing fault?

I've only got about 10ft of internal telephone wiring which was tested by the engineer when I first moved over to Plusnet and he also installed the socket. So I doubt there is an issue there. 

Thanks.

Max. 

VileReynard
Hero

But is that your internal wiring (to an extension phone) or BT's wiring to the master socket?

Maxamus53
Dabbler

It's wiring to BT's master socket. Which I'm tempted to just redo so that we can cross that off the list.

VileReynard
Hero

It's automatically cut-out when you run tests from the test socket.

Maxamus53
Dabbler

I'm still connected to the test socket now. I mean the wiring from the test socket to the junction box just before the wiring goes outside the house.