cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues

notoriousdbp

Latency issues

Hi, I'm having higher than normal latency on my line and have been for a little while now.  It seems to be currently around the 18 - 20 ms mark whereas it used to be consistently around the 9 - 12 ms mark.  It is having a noticeable effect, particularly when gaming on my PS4.  I've also had a couple of issues with DNS being unreachable for a couple of minutes.  I have Safeguard enabled so are using the Safeguard DNS servers.
I have a SamKnows whitebox on my line and have attached my latency graph for the last 6 months.  Anyone else experiencing issues?  I'm using a Home Hub 5 on my line, and have reset it more than once lately to try and resolve the issue.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Latency issues

Pings of 20ms are great, absolutely nothing wrong with them at all and certainly shouldn't be a noticeable ping change.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Rubbish.
There's clearly an issue of some sort, and this is a symptom.
Note:
Quote from: notoriousdbp
I've also had a couple of issues with DNS being unreachable for a couple of minutes.

Maybe line quality improved for some months and now worse again? Don't know.
But not nothing. IMHO.
Its one thing to say "We can't be bothered with this;" but it's another to deliberately misrepresent a useful technical observation as a means of not saying that directly.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A step-change of 7 or 8 ms is typical of what happens when interleaving is applied or removed in one direction on FTTC, the graph seems to roughly match this typical figure so it's fairly likely that this is what's happened.
I suspect that the DNS issues are quite separate.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
notoriousdbp

Thanks for the replies everyone, It may be purely coincidental but I changed my router last Monday and my pings have dropped to consistently being between 11.5 and 12 ms, and I've noticed a significant improvement in online gaming.  For those interested the router I purchased was one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-ac750-archer-vr200-vdsladsl-modem-router-a57xu and it works really well. I do wonder if some of the issues could have been with my Home hub 5.