cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues in gaming and more

demonix01
Grafter

Latency issues in gaming and more

I'm going to be brief, but at before 7PM on monday I started having lag issues in world of warships where movement would just cease for at least 10 seconds before resuming which kept on cropping up a further 6 or so times during the match (which was an operation) and when I went back online a few hours ago, it was still present with the lag either lasting around a second to it going to what I thought would be a disconnection level event with the ping counter going to -35ms which if it had stayed that way would have triggered a disconnection from the server.

I have a feeling that the issue is more related to something going wrong in route as I was communicating with others on a discord server and when I was having the lag issues, audio from chat in discord was distorting and since both the WoWS server I was connecting to along with the discord server are in the USA I've come to that conclusion since everything else seems to be working normally (like streams on twitch and youtube) although I'm going to have to go through the livestreams to see if there's any evidence of my audio going during lag events and I might convert my replays to video since they should show the lag as it was happening.

I could also complain about not getting the speed I was guaranteed by paying for the unlimited fibre extra package, but I'd rather get this issue fixed first.

3 REPLIES 3
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Latency issues in gaming and more

Hi @demonix01,

Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry to hear you are experiencing a problem with your connection. I have a checked your connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as your speed is less than we would like. Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting here to start ruling things out.

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you speed does not improve at this point, we would ask you to raise a fault here and let us know when you have completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

Unfortunately I no longer have a working phone so testing the dial tone isn't possible and everything else checked in that list are all OK as I even took out an old wireless router I had turned into a switch to rule that out, but by the time I'd done that the lag issues I was having had cleared themselves over the next day or so, but it just struck again about 40 minutes ago with a vengeance making any kind of online gaming impossible and stopping my participation in a live stream.

Also, there is no internal wiring as this is a new line install in a studio flat so there isn't a need for extensions.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @demonix01,

I've taken a look into this issue today and upon testing your line I can see that the speeds are running towards the very lower ends of what you should be receiving, with you currently achieving a Download Sync Speed of 27.4Mbps. Before we go take the next step in investigating this issue, I'd just like to confirm if you currently have your router setup within the master socket, or if you have been able to remove the faceplate from the master socket and plug the router in the test socket, for the most direct connection.

The reason I'm asking is because this could potentially greatly improve the speeds that you are receiving if the faceplate is in some way faulty and if the fault is found to be located within the property if an engineer comes out to investigate (which would be the next step at this stage) [-Censored-] could result in a fee for the engineer visit.

If you click here, you will be linked to a page that will describe how you can access your test socket, if you haven't already, however if you have tried this already and it hasn't made any difference, please let us know as soon as you're able to and we'll look into progressing the fault investigation further along as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team