cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and packet loss - Do we have a problem?

Widget
Dabbler

Latency and packet loss - Do we have a problem?

For the past 2 months I have been talking to Plusnet about my 'apparent' slow speeds and high latency.

I've been using the BT Wholesale Broadband tester, at their recommendation.

I've been getting, intermittently, DL speeds of 10-15Mb/sec; UL speeds of circa 5Mb/sec and Ping Latency as high as (in one case) over 20,000ms.

My contract is for 40Mb/sec DL and 10Mb/sec UL.

I've had 4 engineers visit all of whom tell me my line is fine, and they can't duplicate my fault condition.  The last one also said I shouldn't use the BT Broadband tester 'because it isn't reliable'.

I attach a screenshot of a test run about midday - can't use the 'Further Diagnostics' on the BT Tester because it always times out.

The last engineer said that it is either my modem (Plusnet modem already replaced) or my PC, yet my PC seems to be OK when tested.

Soooooo - what can I try next?

26 REPLIES 26
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Latency and packet loss - Do we have a problem?

What browser are you using for the BT tester? Internet Explorer and Edge work. I don't know if it has been fixed but Firefox used to give incorrect results.

What speed should you be getting? I assume that you are on the up to 40/10 service. What do you get if you put your telephone number in here?  https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Widget, thanks for your post.

I've just been speaking with one of our faults advisors who says that a Static IP may help to reduce the ping time.

I've just added it to the line and so can you please reboot the router to allow for it to take effect and then re-test?

Widget
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick

Using Safari on an iMac.

Regarding speeds.  I should be getting a MINIMUM of 20Mb/sec DL, but no guarantees on anything else.  They tell me though that a Ping latency of >80ms is poor.

The contract is 40/10.

ADSL checker results attached - but I can't interpret them.

Widget
Dabbler

Hi OskarPapa

Thank you - I will reboot the router after I come off here - hope it does the job.

Widget
Dabbler

Hi OscarP

Just rebooted router.

Tried BT Performance tester again and results reasonable - both DL speed, UL speed and Ping.

Sadly this is no guarantee that the next test won\'t produce poor results, but I'll try periodically and see if the 'improvement' persists.

Widget
Dabbler

Can anyone explain to me why the registered speed to my telephone plug is steady at 40/10, yet when I run the BT Broadband tester it can be so variable - from very poor to acceptable - remember they tell me that the line rates are steady.

Baldrick1

The ADSL checker results show that you should be getting the full 40/10 performance.

The question has to be how are you connected to the router, WiFi or Ethernet cable? Only connection via Ethernet is relevant with respect to these tests. Also are you connecting to the BT test socket, that’s the one you access by taking  the front off the master socket to do these tests?

Moderator and Customer

Widget
Dabbler

Connected to the router via ethernet cable.

Hmm - which BT socket - I'm currently connected to the data socket on the new combined unit just installed by the BT engineer.

I have just taken the cover off to determine if there is a 'test' socket under the cover, and there isn't - just the 2 sockets - telephone and data.

Baldrick1

If it’s the latest combined type then the front containing the two sockets just clips off. The test socket is in behind , the front panel plugs into it. This disconnects any internal wiring. You need to plug a micro filter into the test socket, one will have been included with your router.

If you have the older type of master socket then you need to remove two screws to gain access to the test socket but the arrangement is generally the same.

Moderator and Customer

Widget
Dabbler

Right.

Connected into the test socket (with filter) and, when the line established, ran BT Wholesale test.

Results : DL 33; UL 8.22; Ping 20.  Ran test a second time with similar results.

Reconnected socket and, when the line established re-ran the BT Wholesale test.

Results : DL 33.9; UL 8.33; Ping 21.  Ran a second test with similar results.

Conclusion : Using the test socket provided almost identical results to the normal socket.

I'm assuming therefore that when I run the tests with the normal connection (not test connection) then the results are believable.  I will run further tests during the day on the normal connection and see what transpires.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Widget the speed tests you've done this morning look OK for a sync rate of 40/10. It's normal to expect throughput to be somewhat lower than the rate your router syncs to the cabinet (the green box in the road) at. 

Let us know how your monitoring goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Widget
Dabbler

Just done another BT Test.

Results : 33.44; UL 8.27; Ping 22.

Remarkably consistent with previous tests this date.  However, this isn't a busy period, so we'll see what later tests show.

Interesting remark from the BT engineer that came yesterday.

He says that when BT engineers are trained, they are told to use the Ookla tester rather than the BT test.

I find this strange, especially since the BT test bears their name, and one assumes it is the standard to test against - and uploads results to their server (when 'Further Diagnostics' is working!)

Other testers - Ookla and Fast - search around for an 'optimum server' before performing the test.  The BT Test (I presume) uses as single dedicated server.  If most of my data is held on the iCloud then (I presume again) that I would be trying to access a specific server to retrieve it, hence the BT test is more representative of my user pattern than either of the other 2 testers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I couldn't comment on what the engineer has said regarding what they're trained on I'm afraid. However our suppliers are aware of ongoing intermittent issues with the BTspeedtester which I believe they're still investigating. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Widget
Dabbler

Tried some more tests after a break.

4 tests showed similar results to previous - - then - - 

DL 9.44; UL 7.63; Ping 26

Subsequent tests reverted to normal.

One test yesterday gave results of -

DL 999.2; UL 7.63; Ping 17

Both tests results attached..

Funny life isn't it.

Anybody any ideas on what's going on?