cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and packet loss - Do we have a problem?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Latency and packet loss - Do we have a problem?

Hi @Widget, thanks for getting back to us.

I'd certainly recommend NOT using the BTWholesale test for the moment, as we are aware of intermittent issues with false results.

As you've already been doing, are you able to keep an eye on it but rather than using the BTW test, use the Google Internet Speed Test?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Is it just me being awkward? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/how-to-test-your-broadband-speed/

No wonder customers get confused.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Widget wrote:

Tried some more tests after a break.

4 tests showed similar results to previous - - then - - 

DL 9.44; UL 7.63; Ping 26

Subsequent tests reverted to normal.

One test yesterday gave results of -

DL 999.2; UL 7.63; Ping 17

Both tests results attached..

Funny life isn't it.

Anybody any ideas on what's going on?

You briefly mentioned iCloud in an earlier post. You haven’t by any chance got a lot of other traffic being up/downloaded at the same time as you are speed testing?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Widget
Dabbler

No.

PC is essentially quiescent - just some occassional background backup to a hard disc. 

Widget
Dabbler

If the recommendation is NOT to use the BT Wholesale Broadband tester (for the momen), which of the following would be a good one to use.  By 'good one'  I mean one that isn't doctored to always make the sun seem to shine.

- Ofcom speed checker

- Googlefibre speedtest

- Ookla speedtest

- 'Fast' speed test

- Which?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It may be worth just cross referencing your speeds with a 3rd party speedtester like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Widget
Dabbler

Hi guys

I've been running tests across numerous testers (6) with varying results (see attachment 1).

ISP says my speeds are good up to the router (39.99Mb/sec + 9.99Mb/sec).

I'm trying to find WHY my system seems to experience regularly lower speeds than the router is getting.

Question : on my network, my iMac is connected  to the router via a wired connection, and via wifi (see attachment 2).  Should it be?  could this cause conflict?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Widget, thanks for getting back to us. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with how Apple network adapters work however if it's anything like windows then the Ethernet connection should take priority over the wireless. Given the issue you're experiencing however I'd recommend perhaps forgetting the routers wireless network on your Mac and monitoring to see if the intermittent issues persists. Let us know how it goes.

Widget
Dabbler

Gulp.

I've just been into my Plusnet Hub Manager and removed my iMac from the network list for wifi - - but as I did so, my wired TP-Link disappeared from the wired devices (the TP-Link is used for supplying IPLAYER etc to my TV).

Not sure why that has happened but I presume that I will no longer be able to get iPlayer unless I re-instate the iMac onto the wifi list.

Not sure how to re-instate it though!!

Widget
Dabbler

Ahhh.

I take my last comment back.

iPlayer is still available and shows up on the device list when I activate iPlayer.

Going to see now whether speeds improve now that the iMac is NOT on the wifi network.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Widget, in regards to forgetting the wireless network on the Mac I meant doing so solely on the Mac and forgetting the wireless details that way. Some devices (despite still being connected) can at times disappear on the network graph shown on the router pages so I'd recommend trying to get on iPlayer via the TV. If it's a wired device then it would usually just re-connect automatically however.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, just seen your reply. Glad to hear the TV is fine and Mac now disconnected from the wireless. Let us know how it goes Smiley