cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Spikes

nb93uk
Hooked

Latency Spikes

Hi, My line is getting frequent high latency and occasional packet loss, its making gaming :(. I'm on a wired connection. 

Attached a screen shot of pings to my next hop.

Would appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Latency Spikes

Hi @nb93uk,

Is this just gaming that it's affecting or any other services?

Is it particular games/gaming servers that you're having problems with or all online gaming? 

Is it just particular times, or randomly throughout the day?

Line testing doesn't show any obvious problem, everything looks good with no errors, and the connection looks stable.

nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @JOLO,

Firstly, thanks for the response. Its only just affecting gaming, I've never noticed any other time.

I only really see a noticeable affect on Rocket League, it may occur on other games i play but it doesn't cause enough of a problem for me to notice it.

With regards to the frequency of it happening, it seems to be any time i play Rocket League online it seems to affect it for pretty much the entire duration of me playing that game.

Hope this info helps, if not let me know if there is any other information that i can provide.

Cheers.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks @nb93uk, that's great.

Are you able to run a full traceroute and send over the results showing all hops?

You can do this by following the below steps:

1) Open the Start menu

2) Click Run

3) Type in cmd then click OK

4) At the command line prompt, type: > tracert example.com

5) Press enter

6) Copy/paste the results into your reply

Please let us know how you get on.

nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @OskarPapa,

Here are the results of the trace route:

Tracing route to example.com [93.184.216.34]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * 13 ms 129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.129]
4 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 128.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.128]
5 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms core1-BE1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.125.132]
6 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 195.99.127.83
7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms t2c3-et-7-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.228]
8 80 ms 80 ms 80 ms 166-49-195-61.eu.bt.net [166.49.195.61]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 82 ms 85 ms 82 ms 152.195.69.139
11 81 ms 82 ms 81 ms 93.184.216.34

Trace complete.

Thanks again for taking a look at my issue.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @nb93uk,

Thanks for getting back to us with that.

From the info you've provided it all looks fine until it hits eu.bt.net.

Just to double-check as well have you got any firewalls/security applications in place - as these may cause a bit of slow down in the ping.

Thanks.

nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @Mads apologies for the late reply,

Just checked my firewall settings, there doesn't seem to be anything that immediately stands out to me that may be causing an issue, however I'm not 100% sure exactly what I'm looking for. As for security applications, I am only using Windows Defender however again I'm not 100% sure what to look out for, have made sure that everything that i think should be allowed is allowed.

Hope this helps,

Thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @nb93uk

Thank you for checking those things, it doesn't sound like any of that will be causing any problems with your connection. If you've not done so already, please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Emily

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Link fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD,

I tried clicking on your link but it doesn't seem to work, is it possible for you to re-send me the link please?

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @nb93uk 

The link could either have been this one or this one  

Could you give them both a look over? 

Thanks, 

MoR

feeps
Grafter

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but ISP Review posted up something last night - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-duri...

As Plusnet is part of BT, would one be seeing the same issues posted in the link if on Plusnet? 

Anyhow, I too am having massive packet loss / ping spikes on a wired connection on games (Rainbow 6 Siege / Ghost Recon Wildlands etc). It will be find for a few mins then an massive stutter for 1 second then back to normal, usually getting around 2-3 in a game (of 4 mins). All started around Feb this year, but I put it down to something on my new PC build rather than internet, but reading the above link, I am not sure now. 

Build a new PC at the start of Jan then went away till Feb, so I was scratching my head at what it could be. 

New PC Spec - i9 9900K / 32GB Ram / 1080 GTX (carried over from existing build) / Z390 MSI Gaming Carbon Pro, I have formatted and bought a new router (Billion 8800) to try to get over theses packet loss issues. Firewall disabled in both router / PC / plusnet portal, DMZ setup to forward to static PC IP to make sure that wasn't an issue. 

I don't know the IP of the Rainbow 6 servers to even tracert or ping -t to capture said issue. 

Next step for me to try is to try another LLU provider (Sky, again) to see if the issues resolve but I am in contract for a few more months yet. 

Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @MasterOfReality,

I went over both of those troubleshooting links, although its something that I've tried when i first initially discovered this problem and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything sadly Sad

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for confirming that you've been through the troubleshooting checks. I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the problem. Please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it, we'll then be able to investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
nb93uk
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD, I've just submitted the ticket.

Thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @nb93uk

Thanks for raising the fault - I've tested the line again and there's no sign of anything externally that would cause this issue. I'm reluctant to raise this to our suppliers as the likely outcome would be an engineer visit to your premises and the outcome of that visit is likely that no fault would be found and you'd then be charged for the call out.

Just to confirm, when the high latency occurs, could you disconnect every other device from the router (physically turning all other devices off is the best way of doing this) and let me know if this has any impact on the latency?

Also, out of interest, is there any chance (positive or negative) in the latency when you're in/out of the test socket?

Is the latency the same on multiple wired devices?

Thanks,

Dave