cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Spikes

amianca

Latency Spikes

I hope someone can help with this. For a while now we've been getting spikes of latency. Games get high latency and streaming video constantly buffers. I run a speed test whenever this happens but they always come back with 52 down and 12 up, which is a bit low but definitely fast enough for streaming etc.

We've tried most things at this point - wired/wireless, different router, different wires/filters nothing seems to make a difference. That said, it does seem to happen consistently between 7pm-10pm or so and is worse on the weekends.

Even more concerning, today our upstream is now only 9, down from the 12 we were getting before. The BT wholesale test errors when I try it so I can't test further.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Latency Spikes

Testing your line isn't finding any issues:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 59.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 606.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-07-27T12:00:00

The connection speeds seem fine and your line is stable:

Do the spikes of latency happen at similar times each day or are they random?
The TBB graph you've added doesn't show any issues, the minimum latency hasn't increased and no packet loss is showing.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
amianca

Re: Latency Spikes

I can't say for certain that they only happen between 7.30-9.30pm but that's by far the worst times for it. Probably around 8pm is the worst. The spikes themselves are random during that stretch.

For a while I thought it might be the gateway we were connected to. I did feel like switching improved things a bit but since it didn't fix it maybe that's me imagining things.

I found a graph that does show a spike that includes packet loss (I reset the router after that so ignore the red bar).