Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issues

FIXED
Rimvydas
Grafter

Re: Latency Issues

Hey,

I'm currently in the process of setting up the new router i got today, but i came across the internet connection setup section where it's asking me to select my ISP and then enter a username and a password. There were two options available for Plusnet. One was PlusNet_ADSL and other PlusNet_VDSL. I'm not too sure on which one I should be selecting. And for the other part, like i mentioned before its asking for a username and a password. So, I don't suppose you would know what that would be? 

I'll also upload a screenshot of the page.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Rimvydas

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum. The options it is giving you is in relation to the connection you have with us. 

PlusNet_VDSL you select if you have a fibre connection.

PlusNet_ADSL you select if you have our standard broadband package. 

Please select the one that corresponds with your connection and let us know how you get on.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Rimvydas
Grafter

Okay, I've managed to get the connection through. Everything is up and running. I've conducted some tests regarding the topic on this thread and I'm sad to say that the new router had no impact on the lag spikes, kind of. The router itself didn't help at all, but the QoS feature kind of did. After enabling the QoS feature, before i even got to prioritising applications the first thing i tested was limiting the overall download and upload bandwidth. I limited it to 3Mbps up and 10Mbps down. First thing I've noticed was that the YouTube videos were no longer causing the lag spikes, or at least very rarely and they were no where near as significant as they usually are. Twitch on the other hand had no change, the lag spikes were still high and crazy. Spotify had also stopped showing any signs of spikes.

I'm still going to try and do some more configuration. But I don't plan on staying on a limited connection because it would mean my overall connection would be much slower.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Sorry to hear this @Rimvydas. I have passed this over to a colleague to look into this for you, and he will update you as soon as he knows more. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Rimvydas 

So, in regards to capping the speeds at your side - I can see why you have tried this, capping the upload on your side could help with buffer bloat etc, which might have been adding to this problem if you were maxing out your upload beforehand. I'm glad its helped with at least some of the lag spikes - Spotify, YouTubve etc, however, Twitch still showing no change is disheartening. 

I'm not 100% sure, in all honesty, what else we can potentially isolate as the root cause of this issue - however, I have one or two questions I'd like to ask which I do no believe have been addressed in this thread, I'm sorry if they fall under the category of checks which you have already completed, however. 

Can I ask if you are watching Twitch through a browser (if so which one, and have you tried on a different browser/turned off any add ons as this would ensure no extensions are making it run slowly) or via the desktop app/side bar add on? 

Does this happen on one specific stream or have you notices the issue on multiple streams? 

I'm afraid we really are getting into the realms of "what else have we not looked at here" - but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what more we can investigate.

Thanks  

Rimvydas
Grafter

Twitch amongst all other sources of media such as YouTube are ran through a web browser, Google Chrome. Spotify is ran on a separate downloadable client. The only extentions I use on Chrome are Ublock for ad-blocking and BTTV for customizing things on Twitch (like additional emotes and such). These are the only two extentions which I ever really use, even prior to the issue. 

I've also completely uninstalled Chrome and tried using the default Internet Explorer and FireFox both in which shown no difference in spikes. Also the spikes occur on every stream or any YouTube video. However, if i reduce the quality of either of them to say 360p, the spikes will dissapear. It's a little bit peculiar because the breaking point at which I start noticing the spikes again is 480p and above.

Honestly, this a very unusual situation. This has never really happened to me in all the years I've been through different ISP's, including yours. That said, considering this is my second "on-going" contract with you and I don't exactly remember when my first one was supposed to end. Maybe something happened when i got switched over to the second contract. Although It shouldn't have because the only difference in this new contract that I've noticed was the price. So i'm not too sure about that. 

And of course, i appreciate all this help you've been providing. I really didn't expect you to stick around and help out throughout all this time.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey @Rimvydas, from what I can see there weren't any changes made to your connection on our side or our suppliers as a result of renewing your account.

That said, I'd like to read over your thread again and have a think about this. I'll get back to you before this time tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Just before you do, I'd like to mention (if i haven't already), when the engineer came round to visit they had mentioned something about an "electrical interference". She briefly went over it and she explained that if there is an electrical inteference a different engineer would be required to be called in to check on the sockets and such. Now, im not expert but if this seriously could be something that could cause the issue I may have to look into booking one. 

Although the engineer that you sent out did check both the sockets downstairs and upstairs which concluded in no difference in the lag spikes. So honestly, I'm not sure.

Rimvydas
Grafter

Okay something that I've noticed today. Upon launching a game and having Twitch open I noticed that the ping spikes for a good minute or two and then goes almost stable-like with little to no spikes at all. Eventually it will start spiking pretty heaviliy again and just repeat itself in this type of cycle. 

I tested this with YouTube as well but that had no effect.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Rimvydas wrote:

I've also completely uninstalled Chrome and tried using the default Internet Explorer and FireFox both in which shown no difference in spikes. Also the spikes occur on every stream or any YouTube video. However, if i reduce the quality of either of them to say 360p, the spikes will dissapear. It's a little bit peculiar because the breaking point at which I start noticing the spikes again is 480p and above. 

Not surprising based on the other descriptions.  Something is contenting the line, router or upstream infrastructure by the sounds of it.   Does it happen on multiple machines?  (Just to rule out your device).

Obviously the chunk of data being downloaded on YouTube when it's in the lower resolution aren't big enough to cause the problem (or they download so quickly you don't notice them)

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Rimvydas
Grafter

Yes this does happen on multiple machines or devices although i could only test it on another laptop and a mobile phone. The phone showed weird results since i could only test it on WiFi. But the spikes were reaching much higher numbers when YouTube or Twitch was playing. The laptop i tried with both wired and wireless. Both also shown increases in spikes. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Talking about this with @Kelly we believe there may be congestion at the exchange causing the issue.

However, the reporting/diagnostic tools are showing no signs of congestion, so I've discussed this with our suppliers quality assurance team and they've agreed to step outside of process on this occasion, arranging to move your circuit to a different VLAN anyway.

By doing this, it should prove or disprove this theory - hopefully it'll prove it and your connection will be back to normal!

The VLAN move should take place overnight tonight.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Hey,

I just have one question, to be able for you to view the congestion would I have to be running Twitch or YouTube because for the last two days I haven't been really using either of them?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No, the congestion report is on a much broader scale so I don't think your usage over the past couple of days would've made a difference.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

After doing some testing this morning, the issue seems to be fixed. The latency is now stable as it was prior to the issue.

Thank you everyone who went over and beyond. I really didn't think you were all going to stick along for so long.