Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issues

FIXED
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Latency Issues

Can you remember what time you started Youtube and twitch?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Rimvydas
Grafter

It must've been around 10:30am or 11am
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for this. We're thinking that there definitely seems to be a fault somewhere. Let us know how the engineer visit goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.
Merged two threads.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Rimvydas. How's your connection following the engineer visit? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Greetings,

All i can say is that the issue is still occurring. Just after the engineer finished conducting the finishing tests they told me that there really was no problem with the connection. At that point, with nearly every cause eliminated i could only think that it was my computer that was causing it. Last night i ended up purchasing two separate network cards, one for wireless and other for wired. This morning I did a fresh install of Windows, again, and i installed the wireless card that had arrived. There wasn't a slightest difference in spikes. Tomorrow I'm expected to get the wired network card but I don't have any hopes for it as if the wireless had no effect why should the wired. At this point I just don't know what to do. I can't even do simple tasks like playing an online game whilst listening to Spotify.   

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to hear the engineer didn't find anything wrong.

Trying something here, I've made a change to how your connection routes across our network.

Before you try any other changes on your side, can you let us know how things feel?

Also, you should be able to use the BQM without putting something into the DMZ now as we've enabled ICMP on your router.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

I've ran some tests, everything seems to be the same as before. The ping is very stable and doesn't go above 25 when playing without any media stuff on. However, once i do turn them on the lag spikes are still the same as before. I've also noticed that it's also loading into web pages or or when clicking on a link - whilst its loading the spikes also happen. Those spikes are also quite significant, reaching anywhere between 80-150. Unsure if this is normal but I also don't recall seeing spikes when just normally browsing before. Overall, it seems to me that everything that requires "loading" takes up a huge chunk of my bandwidth, either that or it somehow automatically prioritises it for things like YouTube/ Twitch/ Spotify and browsing first.

I've also set up a new BQM which you can monitor here. Tell me what you would like to see, I could leave the computer running with a game on and nothing else for a day or I could leave Twitch/ YouTube on without any else for a day. 

Rimvydas
Grafter

Oh one more thing, 

What's even more weird is that I'm currently downloading something at almost my full speed, 4.1 MB/s and my ping in game is floating around 35-60, with an occasional spike that doesn't even reach 100 ping. 

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Rimvydas How are you noticing the spikes?   Is a game lagging out or locking up?  Or are streams stuttering?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Rimvydas
Grafter

I have an in-game graph that is being updated multiple times a second. The server to which I'm connected within that game is a London server. When i play, in fact it doesn't matter what game I play It can be Path of Exile, Team Fortress 2 (huge load of servers), Counter-Strike: GO or even League Of Legends, where ever there's a graph or a setting that enables you to preview your ping, i can not only see the spikes but feel the game stutter. Like in POE, it's a arpg game where i get to control my character and when ever i see the spike i can actually feel it . Causing things like the environment and the monsters to freeze during that spike.

As for the streams, when watching them 99% of the time it doesn't freeze or buffer. But I have noticed that there is that one time that it will buffer or freeze for a second or two and then go back to being fine. 

Rimvydas
Grafter

During the visit of the engineer, they mentioned an encounter they once had where a client was having similar issues to mine and that it took them up to four different router replacements until the issue was actually fixed. Now, lets just say maybe there is a possibility that there is something wrong with the new router you've sent me, I don't know. But If i was planning on purchasing a custom router of Amazon, what would you recommend? Unless you think that there isn't a problem with it. 

Rimvydas
Grafter

Found a post here on tom's hardware where an individual was experiencing the same issue as me, only that the streaming was done on another machine. I still get the ping spikes even if i have Twitch on my laptop via a wired connection so basically the issue identical. Hope this helps.

Rimvydas
Grafter

@Gandalf

Hey, 

I was just wondering, since I'm planning on purchasing a completely new custom router do you think "TP-Link AC1200 - Archer VR400" would work fine with my connection. I'm still planning on staying on a wired connection since that's what I've always used and also seems to output the best performance. 

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We can't really give recommendations on what routers to/not to buy, but that does look like it will do a job.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team