cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issues with specfic game

Alethioandy
Hooked

Latency Issues with specfic game

Hi there, I'm having an issue with my fibre connection, connecting through to a specific game service, causing really bad latency spikes, but only to this one particular game. (Path of Exile on PC)
This only seems to have started in the last 2-3 weeks, and was not a problem prior to that as far as I can recall.

Its worth noting that apart from this, I'm having no issues at all with stability, latency or speed with my connection at all, it's been perfectly fine.

I've done a full power cycle of all my hardware (and done the usual changing cables etc) to see if that resolves the issue, but to no luck. Also, this is happening with nothing else running on my PC also, so it's nothing like that

I've also ran a VPN on my PC, and tried that, which DOES resolve the issue, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue on the ISP side of things.

I'm semi clued up with the technical side of things, but still pretty oblivious when it comes to hard networking stuff, but I've run MTR for a good 45mins to an hour last night while I was experiencing the issues, results are as such: https://pastebin.com/Aq3swHKz

1. |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  2. |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
  3. |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
  4. |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
  5. |                           dsldevice.lan -    0 | 8552 | 8552 |    0 |    0 |   65 |    6 |
  6. |                   No response from host -  100 | 1713 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
  7. |      129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk -  100 | 1713 |    1 |    0 |   18 |   18 |   18 |
  8. |              be3-3100.pcn-ir01.plus.net -    1 | 8540 | 8537 |   17 |   18 |  136 |   18 |
  9. |                          195.99.125.136 -    0 | 8550 | 8550 |   16 |   17 |   94 |   17 |
  10. |      peer2-et3-1-4.slough.ukcore.bt.net -    1 | 8535 | 8531 |   17 |   19 |  142 |   18 |
  11. |                   No response from host -  100 | 1713 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
  12. |         po96.net2.north.dc5.as20860.net -    1 | 8539 | 8536 |   18 |   26 |  428 |   77 |
  13. |             1718.g2.1ug.dc5.as20860.net -    1 | 8339 | 8284 |   18 |   22 |  133 |   19 |
  14. |                           87.117.210.61 -    3 | 7881 | 7711 |   18 |   23 |  158 |   19 |
  15. |                          109.169.19.133 -    1 | 8543 | 8541 |   19 |   21 |   90 |   19 |
  16. |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
  17.    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Hopefully someone here will be able to make more sense of this than I can, and offer some advice - fingers crossed!

Thanks in advance guys, and let me know if you need anymore details!

Andy

16 REPLIES 16
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Latency Issues with specfic game

Hi there. I have ran some tests on your line for you today, and I have attached the results below.

Uptime -Visual Radius

image15306309726059

Performance

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 70.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 288.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2018-06-20T15:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 70.4 Mbps 70.4 Mbps 70.4 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

In the trace route above, the first 6 steps are within our network, beyond that are external jumps. I can see that on the first external jump you hit a max latency of 428. However, the average ping is looking fine which leads me the believe that something is causing a spike.

In the first hop, to the router, you have a maximum ping of 65. Are you currently using wireless to connect to the router? If so, have you tried running an Ethernet connection and testing it that way instead.

Alethioandy
Hooked

Hi @deank,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, looking at the Uptime chart that looks right, the gap on Sunday between 6 and 7pm was when I did the power cycle of all my hardware, just in case that was an issue.

I can confirm that this is all being done via an Ethernet cable connection yes and was tested as such, nothing wireless on the network at all apart from my phone.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Is there anything else running in the background whilst you're having issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Alethioandy
Hooked

Hi @MatthewWheeler,

I've tried both with background stuff running, and without stuff running, and get the same issue regardless. I've literally been through and closed every possible process that would be otherwise using the network and it still has the issue.

As I said in the OP, I've also used a VPN to try and circumvent the routing, and that solves the problem, but obviously isn't a great solution as I don't want to be paying out for another service, when this shouldn't be an issue.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for confirming.

I've passed this to the relevant people to see what can be done

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Alethioandy
Hooked

Thanks for the update @MatthewWheeler

I'll keep an eye out for an update then, fingers crossed that this can sorted.

daveblaz
Dabbler

I have the same problem with the same game (POE), sofar all i have got from support team is it has slight latency issue beyond that there is nothing they can do. may as well have stayed with crappy TalkTalk, as the may be happy to help just not happy to fix. Sad

here is a tech site that i posted on they said get a Smart Qos switch and it will solve my problem but havent tried it yet here is the link

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/need-a-new-router.18824240/#post-31931682

Tags (1)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Alethioandy and @daveblaz I've made a change to how your connection routes across our network, can you let us know how it goes when you play Path of Exile next without the VPN?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alethioandy
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf

Thanks for the update!

I'll give it a go for a few hours tonight, and report back if I still have the issues - Fingers crossed!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @Alethioandy

Good news? Or back to the drawing board?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Alethioandy wrote:

As I said in the OP, I've also used a VPN to try and circumvent the routing, and that solves the problem, but obviously isn't a great solution as I don't want to be paying out for another service, when this shouldn't be an issue.

Just spotted this.

So, when you use the same PN connection through a VPN, the problems go away?   Which VPN are you using?

if you look at http://pingserverstatus.com/poe.php and look at the results with and without the VPN, do the numbers change?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Alethioandy and @daveblaz

We're thinking that what I've done to your connections yesterday may not help.

Though it would be interesting to know if it has helped?

Also, I've created a thread in the gaming forum about this Here as we'd like to investigate this further.

If you have some time, mind popping over there and taking a look?

Cheers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alethioandy
Hooked

Morning @Kelly and @Gandalf

Thanks for the further posts. Unfortunately I havent had a huge amount of time to do serious testing over the last two days, but I'll be on it for sure this weekend to try and see if its made a difference. From what I have been able to see over the last two days though, its definitely made a positive difference, there does seem to be significantly less issues than before Gandalf made the changes, so I think whatever has done may have helped for sure. I'll try and get the problem to happen again today/tomorrow if I can, and I'll run another MTR on it while its happening.

In terms of the VPN, I was running Windscribe last Sunday (as it has a good free usage amount and still a decent speed too). I was having the latency issues in the morning and they were really bad, so I turned Windscribe on and then had no issues at all in a 5-6 hour window. Turned it off and tried again a couple of hours later, and the latency issues were back with a vengeance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the info @Alethioandy

Glad to hear the change seemed to have a positive effect. Let us know how you get on this weekend. Would be good to know 100% definitively whether the issues are now resolved for you. If they are could you post up another WinMTR?

Cheers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet