cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large drop in downstream and upstream

beta_tester
Dabbler

Large drop in downstream and upstream

Having major issues with my FTTC broadband at the moment. Last year I was getting around 60Mbps downstream and 9.2 upstream. Things have drastically gone down since then - currently connecting at 31Mbps and 3.8 Mbps. Getting resyncs at random times as well.

Raised a speed fault with Plusnet - they detected a voice fault at the Exchange, which was quickly fixed by a copper engineer but speeds didn't improve. Discussed with the faults team, and they agreed to send an engineer out - but sent a copper engineer out again! He tested the line (it "passed"), but could do no diagnosing of the broadband speeds as he wasn't trained. Speeds improved slightly shortly afterwards, so I closed the fault, but again had resyncs this evening and now am back down to the speeds above.

Absolutely nothing has changed from my side - we are connected into the BT test socket - however the speeds appear lower after extended periods of rain!

Not at all impressed with Plusnet's Faults team - they have fobbed me off with ticket updates a lot of times now, and normally take at least 3 days to respond to ticket updates - by which point the fault has normally resolve itself.

What is the point in me paying for Unlimited Fibre Extra when I am getting Unlimited Fibre speeds now. 

I've been a customer of Plusnet for many years now, but seriously considering going to someone who will take a more proactive approach with Openreach. 😞

7 REPLIES 7
beta_tester
Dabbler

Re: Large drop in downstream and upstream

Hmm interesting - I tested with an EchoLife HG612 modem (on a Huawei cabinet) and am getting much lower downstream, but slightly higher upstream.

Attainable rate (kbit/s) 24408 4152
SNR margin (dB) 6.3 6.4
Line attenuation (dB) 65.3 0
Output power (dBmV) 12 3.8

Any ideas? I've no idea what is going on with my line at the moment. I've attached my bit loading stats and SNR graph from the EchoLife.

beta_tester
Dabbler

Thanks for the help guys. Do Plusnet no longer monitor these forums, or do they just answer the easy posts?

Plusnet faults are clearly completely understaffed. Fault was logged last Thursday and not picked up. Had to call on Tuesday to progress. Openreach engineer visited on Wednesday and nothing back from Plusnet yet. CS apparently can't put you through to the faults team. Is that correct?

Am I just supposed to wait for days on end?

Downstream speeds have recovered but upstream still really slow. Openreach engineer recommending a fibre assured investigation?!

Seriously considering leaving. Been with Plusnet (off and on) for well over 10 years now. BT appear to have run you into the ground. 😭
beta_tester
Dabbler

Eventually had another Openreach engineer out. Couldn't find any faults on the line. Unfortunately line had been stable (upstream still 1/2 what it was last year) for a few days when he came. Was reluctant to try swapping out the D-side pair whilst line is stable.

Any ideas on how to progress?
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @beta_tester. I've replied to the fault ticket on your account. I tried to call, but unfortunately I was unable to get through.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
beta_tester
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for picking this up. Unfortunately I've had no contact from the faults team & speeds have dropped again this morning after some line resyncs.

What is the point in me paying for Unlimited Fibre Extra when I am getting Unlimited Fibre speeds?

beta_tester
Dabbler

Engineer visited and again couldn't find anything "wrong" with the line. He said he'd look at what he could do to improve the line stability and went off to the cab. He never returned to explain.

We appear to now be on an interleaving profile.

Line has resynced a couple of times and now we are on:-

Rate:29.770 Mb/s / 5.586 Mb/s

Totally sick of Openreach and your faults team.

Sort this out or I am leaving next week for someone who deals with Openreach properly.
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @beta_tester, I'm sorry to hear you've seen no improvement since we last spoke and in fact there has been further deteriroration of your speeds. I've taken this on as a personal complaint so that you have a direct point of contact going forwards and I've updated the fault support ticket on your account with more information, my intentions and next steps.

I tried to call to discuss this further but unfortunately didn't get through, I did leave a voicemail on your mobile number confirming that I'd send further details via the ticket, which you should have also received via email.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team