cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large difference between Attainable Rate and Actual Rate. IP Profile stuck ?

milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Large difference between Attainable Rate and Actual Rate. IP Profile stuck ?

I used to get well over 20Mb but the last few months its been down to 17 or so.
My Router shows the attainable rate to be well in excess of what i actually get.
When i signed up the speed was OK but its very close to minimum Guaranteed Speed now.
Is My IP Profile stuck or should it change automatically ?

I only have one Master Socket and the Router is plugged in to that.

Thanks...

Initial speeds.....
Screenshot (14).png

Current Router Speeds......
Screenshot (11).png

Test by PC...

Screenshot (12).png

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Large difference between Attainable Rate and Actual Rate. IP Profile stuck ?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Large difference between Attainable Rate and Actual Rate. IP Profile stuck ?

@milvusmilvus  From the modem stats it looks like your downstream is banded at 18Mbps, that is capped at that speed. The fact than the downstream SNRM is much higher than the usual 6dB is evidence of the banding. You need  Plusnet to do a GEA test on the line to confirm this. They can then request a DLM reset to remove the banding.

milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Thanks, I have logged a fault for them to do a line test.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @milvusmilvus

Thanks a lot for reaching out here and apologies for any inconvenience caused by this. You're right, the line can achieve higher speeds, up to 29.1 Mbps according to a more updated BT Availability Tracker. Definitely looks like the speeds have been banded here.

I've now raised this matter with my colleague to have the profile reset, I'll be back in touch once I've had confirmation that the request has been sent.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Thanks for that.

After my report of slow speeds Customer Service have come back with
“ I have tested the line and found no faults. The line is stable and running at a speed of 18mbps.”
I knew that and that’s not the issue so will your reset request still go ahead ?

Thanks.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @milvusmilvus, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the update you received on your fault didn't like up with what my colleague Adam advised.
I an confirm I've put through the request to unband your speed profile on our suppliers side and this should be completed in the next 3 working days.
I've placed your fault ticket on hold until after this period so we can check back and see how the sync speed is looking. If you're still seeing speed issues beyond Wednesday then please do get back to us and we'll happily look into this further for you.

milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Looks like the restriction has been lifted. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it settles..

Thanks...

Screenshot (20).png

milvusmilvus
Dabbler

It seemed to fix the problem, but more recently the speeds have been reducing and i think they have done it again.
Its stuck at 16Mb now.

Can anyone help me once more to lift the restriction ?

Thanks.

Screenshot (137).png

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @milvusmilvus

Thanks a lot for reaching out again and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having further issues on the line. An RRT test has shown further line issues, and further testing on BT Wholesale has found that cross talk has been detected, which has in turn affected your speed profile.

I've now raised a fault with our suppliers to have this investigated further. I haven't arranged an engineer visit yet as cross talk is usually found at the PCP, however if one is required, our team will be in touch.

You can both view and respond to the new open fault ticket here.

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 15.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1322.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From15:45to16:15
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-18M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2021-11-17T12:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 10.5 Mbps 17.9 Mbps 17.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 2.9 Mbps 4.2 Mbps 3.7 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 894.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 56.0 0.1
Radius
 Adam
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick response 👍

milvusmilvus
Dabbler

I recieved this email today saying it is sorted but even after manually rebooting my router it is still the same.

Also note that my contract originally stated minimum speed to be 16.3

Screenshot (139).png

Screenshot (138).png

Screenshot (14).png

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for back to us @milvusmilvus

Yeah it looks like an agent who accessed the account yesterday resolved the faults as speeds on our end are looking decent, coming through at 21Mbps. Saying that, something still does not look right to me, in that cross talk is still showing on the line, the profile still appears to be banded, and you're still syncing at a lower rate than what is attainable.

There's been a bit of a mix up, in that we've recently changed the way that estimated and guaranteed speeds are calculated, to give a more accurate reflection of what speeds customers should expect, though ideally, when diagnosing faults, we ought to refer back to the original speeds estimated on your contract. I'm thinking this is why the agent resolved the fault.

Going forward, I'd like to arrange an engineer visit to try and get this sorted. Please respond to the open ticket stating your availability, and give me a nudge on here once you have. I'll get it booked in. Smiley

Adam
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Thanks, i have said available for PM visit next week Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

removed