cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laggy fibre

Esoames

Laggy fibre

I've been in talks with faults for months now funnily enough since August 2016....

Anywho our fibre is laggy, it's perfectly fine streaming in most cases it's just websites and more annoyingly videos on websites such as Facebook and YouTube. It's driving us mad! Stupidly tied in until June because we got a router from them last year to try and solve some issues but it just doesn't seem to get any better.

I'm an ex faults agent from plusnet so I can tell it's not quite right. I'm fairly sure that there are dodgy gateways but I can't get anyone at plusnet to agree with me.

Been asked to do wireshark and I've got to be honest it's an awful program! I can't seem to get it to do what I want. Any suggestions before I end up getting divorced because a website doesn't load properly?

Cheers for reading
5 REPLIES 5
Esoames

Re: Laggy fibre

88 views and nothing from anyone? I'll be raising another fault over the weekend YouTube and Facebook videos are unwatchable on our wifi we have to resort to using 4G. Thanks for reading...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

As an "ex faults agent", shouldn't you be much more able to investigate and solve your own problems yourself than most people on the forums?

You haven't given us any details of the VDSL2 connection stats, or your estimated speeds, so there's nothing there for us to look at. Now you've mentioned wifi, but presumably you would have already checked with a wired Ethernet connection to determine if it's a problem with the wifi or something else.

You could try doing some ping tests to check for packet loss, I'd do some pings with larger packets, because the default ping packet size being much smaller than data carrying packets can make the results unrepresentative of a problem affecting data transfer.

However, I wouldn't expect something affecting the VDSL2 connection between you and the cabinet to only affect specific websites. You could try using different DNS servers if you haven't already tried that, although I wouldn't expect it to make much difference.

I don't find wireshark an awful program. I generally start it capturing everything, then do whatever it is I want to investigate, then examine the captured packets. Everything using https these days can limit what wireshark can decode.

Esoames

Thanks for commenting maybe I would have been clearer in stating i left in 2007 way before fibre so my knowledge isn't amazing when it comes to the abbreviations surrounding it. All I can see is that when we use it for normal streaming it stalls and buffers. iPhones and iPads are almost unusable and need to be on 4G so I'm not sure how I can go about testing that platform using any other method. I'll see what I can dig up myself on the problem

Thanks for commenting
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Earlier you said "it's perfectly fine streaming in most cases", which now doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, try giving the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz wifi networks different names.

StuartUK35
Grafter

goto on speedtest  site and see if your on the 146.198.x.x   IP range and if it says BT instead of Plusnet or Infonet.

Heres my take, and its been doing my head in for ages, but i accepted a new contract for a reduced rate to balance out the Poor quality i get from time to time...
If my connection is Plusnet/Infonet and NOT on the 146.198.x.x  range, then latency is cool, connection is cool, web browsing is fast, and when gamers connect to me as Host, all is good...

Now, i am stuck on the 146.198  range, so to load this webpage took 24 seconds, gaming aint happening, and speedtests go from 0.8mb upto 58mb, and jitter is on B , etc etc...

Good luck with getting your issue resolved!