cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lagging Xbox One With 76MB Fibre

scott78saunders

Lagging Xbox One With 76MB Fibre

Hi,

We are having some pretty annoying problems with the internet since we moved over to PlusNet from Virgin - basically we are having constant lag whilst using Xbox Live which is making games unplayable.

The Xbox and the One Hub are connecting wirelessly however so was our virgin media connection and that never had any lag - fully appreciate that wireless is not as good as wired however on this occasion its all we got.

Now, what would cause the lag as I was under the impression that PlusNet don't traffic manage the gaming side of the service ?

The channel has been changed manually to one that is less congested and the transmission speed has been increased from 144 to 300MBPS however that's really not made any difference.  The lag happens all day, its not really contained to purely peak hours.

Anyone offer some help please?

Thanks

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Lagging Xbox One With 76MB Fibre

Any chance you can try on wired just briefly?

Also, log into the router in advance settings > wireless and under 5ghz and make Sync with 2.4ghz set to off and change wireless ssid to something and try connect xbox to the 5ghz wifi instead.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
scott78saunders

Thanks for the reply, I will give that a whirl and see if that changes.

Tags (2)
darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

You can't complain if you using wifi to a gaming console, you will get lag, i strongly advise you to use wired.

Plusnet stand alone router was bad with wifi so there new combo modem router isn't that great by the sounds of it, you'll need to replace the modem router for something better or use it wired.

scottymc
Grafter

Just a heads up buddy if your xb1 is more than 10 meters away from the hub you will get a more stable connection using 2.4ghz and not 5ghz....

Also have you thought about picking up a set of homeplugs they work perfectly with my xbox
scott78saunders

Think that a solution has been found that seems to work - Logged into the advanced section and turned off the 2g sync as was recommended.   That appears to have created a separate 5G network which the Xbox likes and the bandwidth report shows its pretty fast for both upload and download.

My son is not moaning that the internet is "[-Censored-]" so that's a good sign.

Thank to all for the helpful comments.

S