cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag Spikes Over Wi-Fi While Gaming/Streaming.

chrisxrae

Lag Spikes Over Wi-Fi While Gaming/Streaming.

Hey everyone.

I guess the title says it all pretty much.

I have Fibre 70 up 20 down. And for the past 2 days while grinding BO4 on stream, just by opening up Instagram or any apps on my phone causes the in game PING to go from 20ms to over 160ms every other second. My PS4 and PC are wired. But every time i open something over Wi-Fi the lag spikes are crazy. Specially anything stream related either Twitch or Youtube.

I run a Nighthawk dual Modem/Router so no issue there.

It only seems to be when someone uses the Wi-Fi and it's never happened before.

This is highly frustrating because neither Plusnet help on Twitter or Live Chat reply.

I earn my living doing this so my patience is running pretty low and it's just after a couple days so you can imagine. 

Any help possible!?

Thank You. 

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Lag Spikes Over Wi-Fi While Gaming/Streaming.

I doubt the support we can lend will be of much help with it being a third party device. Might be worth setting up an external latency monitor like that offered by ThinkBroadband. If that's clear, then the problem lies in the home network somewhere - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrisxrae

Sorry, the problem did occur while using the Hub One Router (The Nighthawk was a purchase 2 days ago to maybe solve the problem) forgot to mention that detail.

It has nothing to do with the equipment.

It almost feels as if there's not enough bandwidth coming through allthough while playing and streaming there's no problem. Just with the Wi-Fi being used as i said.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

You'll struggle to set up that latency monitor with the Hub One. Possible with the Netgear though so that's worth trying. If the issue is router agnostic then it points to the upstream bandwidth being saturated or similar. That said, it would be useful to see what an external monitor shows. Network wise, we have little control over your local wi-fi network, or the affect it has on your Internet connection Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrisxrae

Ok... I'm struggling now.
I connected the Hub One back in.
Joined a random Pub on BO4.
Ping is at 26ms to 30ms. Perfect.
I open YouTube on my phone and as soon as whatever video starts, ping spikes to 160+ every 2 or 3 seconds.
Plugged the Nighthawk back in and exactly the same.
Opened Twitch on my phone, clicked on a random stream and there it is again. Over 200 ping spikes now.
This is clearly a bandwidth problem as it doesn't have enough to withstand 2 devices at the same time. Regardless the router or input.
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @chrisxrae,

When using bandwidth for a service that is latency dependent such as gaming, streaming or downloading / uploading will naturally increase latency. What quality do you have selected when streaming from Twitch and YouTube?

I would recommend setting up the home network monitoring tool as @bobpullen has suggest, you can then attach screen shots to this post to give us more of an insight into what is happening.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional