cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOL@ Welcome to faster upload speeds for Unlimited Fibre

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Re: 5 days and no response to a fault report

Perfect, much appreciate you following up on this, I'll be checking out the FTTP packages!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem at all.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Interesting...

Ultrafast shows as 300Mb, which is expected for the high priced service.

However, BT's standard fibre (same as PN) now shows as

Your broadband speeds

We estimate your maximum download connection speed will be 55 Mbps

We estimate your maximum upload connection speed will be 10 Mbps

At the moment we get 17 / 0.5 so it's interesting how they provide 55 / 10 for the normal £35/month service, it looks like they may use the fibre cable even on standard fibre!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@ukguy1

FTTP goes nowhere near any FTTC gubbins. The fibre comes direct from the nearest Internet Head End which may even bypass your local Exchange.

As distance is not a factor then speed wise you would get near what ever package you order. I'm on a 38 down and usually showed 36/37 on a wired speed test (not done one for a while).

Brian

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

ah is that how fttp works

Our FTTC is 0.5 up 17 down with PN

The FTTP is available up to 330 down (now showing as available)

Just interesting that last week when BT were doing Black Friday they showed the same FTTC speeds as we get now with PN, but now FTTP is available, the FTTC speeds also show as 55 down 10 up. Must be a mistake!

bmc
Hero

@ukguy1

BT have long offered a higher download speed on their fibre service (whether FTTC or FTTP). I suspect it's to do with their free FON WiFi offering. Unless you opt out (I believe) then your router would create a FON hotspot which would use some of your connection  speed if anyone logged into it.

On the DSL Checker website there is a narrative after the results. The first paragraph should  speak about FTTP and will give information about your line. For example mine said UG (under ground) feed proven clear - I knew what the latter meant as the Distribution Point in the street chamber is in my neighbour's garden and I stood and watched as they checked my duct and left a draw rope in place for the FTTP install.

If you have an overhead feed then I believe they replace your current phone line with a combined fibre / copper line which then comes into your house via the existing phone line entry. At both ends the cables get split for the connections. In your house you get an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) install for fibre - the router connects via an Ethernet cable.

Brian

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Our line has only ever supported 17-20 down, 0.5 up for years on FTTC, showing as the same speeds even with BT last week.

If I ordered the same FTTC now, it's offering 50 down, 10 up which physically isn't possible as even the engineer shows the 20 / 0.5 speeds during any visits.

FTTP is the way to go to get up to 330, as you say, it's expensive though, hence why my eyes were caught by the massive increase in speeds from standard FTTC since last week (if they could really give that PN could too) but they can't and if I ordered BT would probably have to cancel the order.

bmc
Hero

@ukguy1

It may be the checker is getting confused with both FTTC & FTTP available. As you say, on FTTC you can only get what the line supports.

While the higher speeds on FTTP are expensive I believe the lower two packages usually cost the same whether FTTC or FTTP from most ISP's. BT offers the free FON WiFi on top.

Brian