Did you mean: 

LOL@ Welcome to faster upload speeds for Unlimited Fibre

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

LOL@ Welcome to faster upload speeds for Unlimited Fibre

lol @ 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster).**

We get 0.5mb uploads on broadband

Still get 0.5 uploads on fibre after nearly 10 years

Yet for 3 years there has been a 300mb cable underground at our gate laying redundant.

OK to give some 9.5mb but we pay the same as them Plusnet, how about DECREASING our price instead of increasing it?

After all, downloads struggle to reach 20mb on a good day. Superfast?

If I connect to EE 4G i get 50mb up, 70mb down from the same chair.

And yes, blame BT... aka BT openreach aka plusnet

Why do I bother writing this? Because you antagonised me by increasing uploads when you don't care about long term customers who can't even get 1.9mb!

37 REPLIES 37
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: LOL@ Welcome to faster upload speeds for Unlimited Fibre

Hi there, 

I hear what you're saying and understand the frustration. We're part of the BT group of companies as are Openreach but we're not them and vice versa. All that means is that the upload speed available is determined by the technologies available at the cabinet/local exchange and the length of your line is also a factor. That means if we offer an increase to what's available it unfortunately won't impact on everyone if their estimates are well below that value.

In your case you are seeing an upload close to the maximum available to you (which you can see by entering your number over at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/) 

The important thing is we can look at this and there's a good chance we can help you achieve a little better. Assuming as most do that you connect over WiFi have you ever tested speeds over a wired connection to see if the upload looks any better?

You might also want to try connecting to the test socket too: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Adam, however I know all this and tried everything.

0.5 is the max we can get, it's marginally different as wired. The 0.4-0.55 fluxuation on the speed tests are within the same region.

I appreciate what you are saying and agree BT openreach etc are all separate, it's just frustrating and laughable the difference between advertising, marketing and reality.

There's a fibre cable laying under the ground unused yet we have to talk about wired connections to get 0.1 extra down a 1 mile copper cable, 70 years old to the village.... running next to the shiny new unused fibre cable.

Only in Britain 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

Have you tried querying this with Openreach? I'd fill out this form.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, I've filled that form in and questioned the unused cable, lets see what they come back with. Worth a go!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

Moved to Fibre from broadband
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Let us know what response you receive, I'd be interested to know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

5 days and no response to a fault report

Is there anyone in the fault department in Plusnet or should I contact BT Openreach / Ofcom?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Just to update on this, they never respond.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's disappointing.
I've filled out a similar form for you on your behalf querying faster fibre speeds, which essentially comes from an ISP perspective. We'd typically expect a response within 7 working days.

When we do receive a response I'll come back here to let you know. If you don't hear from me it's likely because I've not yet had a reply but feel free to nudge me on here and I'll be happy to chase it up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@ukguy1

What does the following site say for your area

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Brian

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: 5 days and no response to a fault report

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

I agree, I was just thinking of other options, as they also have an obligation to answer fault tickets, not ignore them. I"m sure Ofcom would agree it's an ISP's duty to do so and log the fault with Openreach in an acceptable amount of time which I believed was 72hrs.

I've been a customer for about 15 years with very few issues, when I do have issues, ignoring makes me think they no longer want my custom.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've taken a look at the ticket, and I apologise that it's not been picked up. As it is, in it's current state, the faults team will pass it back to you. Could you please provide a wired throughput test and add that to the ticket for us? for what it's worth, the sync rate is within estimates.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Agree, within estimates by a fraction, the openreach test showed 12.9 and it came out 12.6, but others show 13.*

It shows 1mb up which is double what we get! IT's never budged from 0.5 which we got with old old none fibre broadband years ago.

Even though it's within estimates, we've always had around 18-19mb for years, so on such a slow connection this is a 30% drop, which suggests something has changed or an issue somewhere. The profile still shows 18mb in the more details part of the openreach test.

I plugged the laptop in directly earlier and the wired speedtests were the same +/- half a meg