cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Port keeps dropping

szymonj99
Dabbler

LAN Port keeps dropping

Hello! I recently started having some problems with my connection. This all started just a few days ago - wish it went away already! The LAN port keeps dropping, not able to make a connection between my machine and the router. Any help would be appreciated. Attached a screenshot of the router page. Thanks!

16 REPLIES
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Re: LAN Port keeps dropping

Have you tried a different LAN port? Tried a different cable?
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
szymonj99
Dabbler

Yes, tried two cables and two ports. None of which seem to work. Screenshot: LAN Port 1

Edit: I have tried a second machine too, and can confirm that it doesn't work either. two cables, all ports, two devices. Makes me think the router is at fault?

Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 50

Is the wireless link stable? If so that would be further evidence that it's most probably a duff router.

szymonj99
Dabbler

Yes. All wireless links are stable and working.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion

The next step has got to be a replacement router. If you don't want to spend real money before being absolutely sure then get a cheap one from Ebay. It's always good to have a spare anyway.

szymonj99
Dabbler

Surprised I didn't think of that earlier. Have an BT HomeHub 5 laying around. Once I switch out the router, are there any settings I need to change? Thanks
Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion

szymonj99
Dabbler

Thansk for the help! Turns out, it is a faulty router. The Home Hub works perfectly! What steps should I take now? Would PlusNet send me a replacement router, or should I stick to the homehub/buy a new router?

Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion

The Plusnet Hub One is no more that a Home Hub 5a with a different coloured case and slightly tweeked firmware. Consequently if you are happy with your current set up then I would stick with it. If Plusnet will give you a hub for the cost of the postage then it's worth having one for a spare but it's not worth buying a new one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

I had a router do a similar thing to me. Internet worked over wi-fi (so not the connection), not through Ethernet. I think the switch in the router died.

As @Baldrick1 says if it can get hold of a cheapo spare, just for the peace of mind so you've got a backup available. Can't remember whether if PlusNet supply you one, you have to take out a new minimum length term.

There are plenty knocking around eBay though that don't cost much.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Good to hear you've found the problem. Your edit in post #3 pretty much confirmed it was the router at fault.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 441

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

As the router we've sent you is under warranty, I'll send a replacement out to you now and it should be with you soon.

Can you let us know how it goes when you receive it?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
szymonj99
Dabbler

I'll keep you updated, and post a reply once I get my hands on the router. Thank you!
szymonj99
Dabbler

Received the router today, works flawlessly! Thank you! Should I send the old one back? Asking, since I got a blue return bag. Also, it was delivered to my previous address? Would you mind fixing that up for me, please? Yet again, huge thanks for reaching out to me.