Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Port keeps dropping

szymonj99
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

LAN Port keeps dropping

Hello! I recently started having some problems with my connection. This all started just a few days ago - wish it went away already! The LAN port keeps dropping, not able to make a connection between my machine and the router. Any help would be appreciated. Attached a screenshot of the router page. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: LAN Port keeps dropping

Have you tried a different LAN port? Tried a different cable?
szymonj99
Dabbler

Yes, tried two cables and two ports. None of which seem to work. Screenshot: LAN Port 1

Edit: I have tried a second machine too, and can confirm that it doesn't work either. two cables, all ports, two devices. Makes me think the router is at fault?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Is the wireless link stable? If so that would be further evidence that it's most probably a duff router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

szymonj99
Dabbler

Yes. All wireless links are stable and working.
Baldrick1

The next step has got to be a replacement router. If you don't want to spend real money before being absolutely sure then get a cheap one from Ebay. It's always good to have a spare anyway.

Moderator and Customer

szymonj99
Dabbler

Surprised I didn't think of that earlier. Have an BT HomeHub 5 laying around. Once I switch out the router, are there any settings I need to change? Thanks
Baldrick1

Its all here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234

Good luck

Moderator and Customer

szymonj99
Dabbler

Thansk for the help! Turns out, it is a faulty router. The Home Hub works perfectly! What steps should I take now? Would PlusNet send me a replacement router, or should I stick to the homehub/buy a new router?

Baldrick1

The Plusnet Hub One is no more that a Home Hub 5a with a different coloured case and slightly tweeked firmware. Consequently if you are happy with your current set up then I would stick with it. If Plusnet will give you a hub for the cost of the postage then it's worth having one for a spare but it's not worth buying a new one.

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had a router do a similar thing to me. Internet worked over wi-fi (so not the connection), not through Ethernet. I think the switch in the router died.

As @Baldrick1 says if it can get hold of a cheapo spare, just for the peace of mind so you've got a backup available. Can't remember whether if PlusNet supply you one, you have to take out a new minimum length term.

There are plenty knocking around eBay though that don't cost much.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Good to hear you've found the problem. Your edit in post #3 pretty much confirmed it was the router at fault.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

As the router we've sent you is under warranty, I'll send a replacement out to you now and it should be with you soon.

Can you let us know how it goes when you receive it?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
szymonj99
Dabbler

I'll keep you updated, and post a reply once I get my hands on the router. Thank you!
szymonj99
Dabbler

Received the router today, works flawlessly! Thank you! Should I send the old one back? Asking, since I got a blue return bag. Also, it was delivered to my previous address? Would you mind fixing that up for me, please? Yet again, huge thanks for reaching out to me.