cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched to Plusnet yesterday and speeds much slower.

FIXED
triceratops
Dabbler

Just switched to Plusnet yesterday and speeds much slower.

Hi,

Can someone from plusnet please reply. I switched from talktalk, my phone and broadband went live yesterday with Plusnet.

I am using my own equipment RT-AC86U (asuswrt merlin firmware) and Vigor 130 modem. There is nothing wrong with my line or hardware.

When with talktalk i was getting 63Mbps down, 17Mbps up. I am including screen shot below of modem stats when i was connected with talktalk and showing current modem stats when connected to plusnet.

Modem stats when with talktalk:

https://ibb.co/wLRRn1r

Modem stats now i am with plusnet:

https://ibb.co/RbRFF0P

Type ? for command help
> vdsl status

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 44597000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 17098000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 51660952 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 17098000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :        Fast 
   DS Interleave Depth     :      649       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       17 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     7. 1 dB    US actual PSD        :    13. 4  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :   124146
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :   101205
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : fe004452       ITU Version[1]       : 41590000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support] 
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE 
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :       21 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004244       CO ITU Version[1]    : 434da48c
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < BDCM >
>

As you can see my speed is well under what i was getting with talktalk and so far am not impressed by this, it's also less than the estimate given by plusnet although as shown above i am able to achieve much higher speed without connection issues as proven by screenshot when i was a talktalk customer. i know they say to allow your line to stabilise for a few days but i mean this is is just well under. 

Much appreciate any help. 

Thank you

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

12 REPLIES 12
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Just switched to Plusnet yesterday and speeds much slower.

Hi @triceratops 

Can you confirm that you also get the same speed when using the PN supplied router? 

Are you connected to your master Socket within the premise? 

I can see that you are Syncing below your estimates, can you run through our troubleshooting guides here

If that doesn't help, the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket (which is under the faceplate of your master socket) and seeing if the drops stop. 

This rules out your internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of these drops. 

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists, please can you raise a fault here

Thanks, 

MoR

triceratops
Dabbler

Hi,

Don't want to sound or come across as rude but this is only since switching yesterday and am not going to believe it's internal wiring or my router, it only happened since the switch, also i did not choose to have the plusnet router as i prefer my own equipment which is far superior than what ISPs provide.

Can you confirm that you also get the same speed when using the PN supplied router? 

Did not get the PN router as don't need it.

Are you connected to your master Socket within the premise? 

Yes no extensions direct into master socket.

I can see that you are Syncing below your estimates, can you run through our troubleshooting guides here

Perfectly clear dial tone, no problems with wiring nothing changed since switching from talktalk to plusnet. I replaced the cable from modem to bt socket and still the same, also tested the bt test socket behind faceplate and still no improvement.

If that doesn't help, the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket (which is under the faceplate of your master socket) and seeing if the drops stop. 

My bt face plate has two sockets one for telephone and one for modem, it's only around 12 months old as i replaced the faceplate myself. It's a genuine BT one, I removed faceplate and tested using the test socket and still no improvement unfortunately.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @triceratops, thank you for getting back to us and sorry to hear the speed issue persists. Checking from this side looking at the results from testing your connection we can see 63.1Mbps has been achieved at some point however currently the speeds are showing 44.7Mbps which is well under your 54.5 - 75.3Mbps estimates for your line.

Test Outcome
Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 44.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 17.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 515.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2019-02-14T15:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 44.5 Mbps 63.1 Mbps 59.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 17.0 Mbps 17.7 Mbps 17.5 Mbps
Up Time 860.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-27T15:00:19Z 2019-02-27T15:15:19Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Looking at the testing results below where the maximum speed has been highlighted this has lead me to run a more in depth check of when the speaks were performing as we'd expect. It seems from around 10pm-10:30pm last night it seems speeds of around 60Mbps were being achieved. Was there anything your side during this time in regards to the set-up changes that may have caused the expected speeds to be achieved?
23423423.PNG

By all means if not, as there is nothing highlighting or side as to what's behind the speed issues you're experiencing the next step would be for us to progress the raised fault on your account and would imagine the next step advised by our suppliers would be to get a engineer out to investigate further.

If there's nothing that comes to mind your side after looking at the above graphs and speed changes then please could you update the fault ticket here with the required information so we can progress this issue forwards for you. If you could drop us a message on here after doing so as we'll happily progress this forwards for you.

triceratops
Dabbler

Thanks for replying, no there were no changes my end, Replied to ticket to see if we can just put ticket on pause for now whilst i obtain another faceplate before going any further with an engineer visit.

I just ordered a new faceplate so should get it by Saturday, i did have a similar issue a few years ago with talktalk and it took nearly 9 months and multiple visits from engineers and it turned out to be my line that connects to the pole in the street it was loose on the pole end, at that time there were BT guys playing about on that pole where my line runs/connects to, oddly enough since about november 2018 i think cant be sure exact date i have seen bt guys on a few visits go upto the pole on several occassions. Not sure if it might be something like that again, unfortunately it was not being picked up as a fault hence it took them so long until some other bt guy decided to check the pole and saw the issue.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to us @triceratops. I appreciate your willingness to try a new face plate and see if this remedies the issue, however as the test socket and the router being plugged directly into their would rule out the face plate, extension sockets and internal wiring as the cause and as you've mention the issue persists in the test socket I don;t feel there is need for you to try another face plate as the cause doesn't seem to be coming from there.
By all means we're happy to await you further checking internal wiring if you wish and see how that goes however if you do wish to progress the fault forwards with the above highlighted or after you've tried a new face plate then simply update the fault ticket with your availability and acceptance of potential unneeded engineer charge and give us a nudge on here and we'll get an appointment arrange for you.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi triceratops,

I suspect you just need to wait!

Sorry for the following techy jargon coming next...

When moving ISPs openreach reset DLM on the FTTC to a default profile.

Typically 6dB margin with moderate interleaving. Just like you posted in the table in post #1.

If you are on HUAWEI cabinet. Looking at the table in post #1 the far chipset is BDCM.

This indicates that your are on a HUAWEI cab. ECI cabs use infineon (now Intel) chipsets.

If your line is stable and stays error free, DLM will turn G.INP on and then reduce the noise margin in 1 dB steps down to a minimum of 3 dB.

This should restore your 60 + mbps download speed.

Do you have a copy of the modem stats when you were on TalkTalk?

If so please post those here.

Regards

Richard

triceratops
Dabbler

@BD wrote:

Thanks for getting back to us @triceratops. I appreciate your willingness to try a new face plate and see if this remedies the issue, however as the test socket and the router being plugged directly into their would rule out the face plate, extension sockets and internal wiring as the cause and as you've mention the issue persists in the test socket I don;t feel there is need for you to try another face plate as the cause doesn't seem to be coming from there.
By all means we're happy to await you further checking internal wiring if you wish and see how that goes however if you do wish to progress the fault forwards with the above highlighted or after you've tried a new face plate then simply update the fault ticket with your availability and acceptance of potential unneeded engineer charge and give us a nudge on here and we'll get an appointment arrange for you.

Hi,

I have sometime on Saturday so i will just double check everything my end to be sure, will also reset router/modem and go from there, you are rite though of course about a new faceplate not making any difference as plugs directly into test socket, not sure why i did not think of that when replying earlier.

I have attached pics of my full stats when with talktalk to this post for comparison.

I notice for DS Path Mode it shows interleave, when i was with TalkTalk it was fast. Also DS Interleave Depth shows 649, when i was with talktalk it was 1. I suspect something is wrong here along with SNR up is (6dB) and SNR down is 6 (dB) but when with talktalk both was 3.

I mentioned in ticket reply earlier to put it on pause and will reply when i done further checks. Will reply back to ticket and this thread on weekend but i don't think this is an actual fault but something that needs altering.

@RichardB wrote:

Hi triceratops,

I suspect you just need to wait!

Sorry for the following techy jargon coming next...

When moving ISPs openreach reset DLM on the FTTC to a default profile.

Typically 6dB margin with moderate interleaving. Just like you posted in the table in post #1.

If you are on HUAWEI cabinet. Looking at the table in post #1 the far chipset is BDCM.

This indicates that your are on a HUAWEI cab. ECI cabs use infineon (now Intel) chipsets.

If your line is stable and stays error free, DLM will turn G.INP on and then reduce the noise margin in 1 dB steps down to a minimum of 3 dB.

This should restore your 60 + mbps download speed.

Do you have a copy of the modem stats when you were on TalkTalk?

If so please post those here.

Regards

Richard

Hi,

I do have some knowledge about DLM. My modem stats as in pics shows DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR: BDCM which equates to BDCM = Broadcom = Huawei as you mentioned.

I notice for DS Path Mode it shows interleave, when i was with TalkTalk it was fast. Also DS Interleave Depth shows 649, when i was with talktalk it was 1. I suspect something is wrong here along with SNR up is (6dB) and SNR down is 6 (dB) but when with talktalk both was 3.

Attached pics of full stats when with talktalk to this post.

Thank you.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Fix

Hi

On TalkTalk the interleaving was low and INP was  240 - looks like G.INP to me.

In addition you had a 3dB margin.

I would wait for DLM to act.

G.INP is normally applied within a few days.

G.INP added over 10mbps to my line.

The reduced noise margin also added 8mbps on top of the G.INP improvement. Smiley

triceratops
Dabbler

ok think i will do that Richard for now, just leave it and see what happens over the next several days.

Thanks, will update this thread in due course.

triceratops
Dabbler

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. over past few days my speed has much improved thankfully, no doubt @RichardB was rite it was DLM. Still slightly varying but probably starting to stabilise now.

screenshots: 

Screenshot-2019-03-02-at-8-19-40-am Screenshot-2019-03-02-at-8-19-56-am

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Very glad your line is up to speed. While appreciating you are new to Plusnet, the very first sticky at the top of the Fibre forum suggests that new connections should be given a few days for DLM to stabilise ...

And speed tests should be carried out over a wired connection, not wifi. Both these issues seem to cause problems which are not of PN's making. Of course I wouldn't dream of adding that PN can make problems on its own  Smiley

Jimbowe
Dabbler

Hello Triceratops,
I couldnt help but make a comment on this thread and the positive outcome, as I too am in the exact same situation. I feel a lot happier now i have read this post in full. !!!😊