Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just signed up for Plusnet Fibre and I have a few queries

vikixc
Dabbler

Just signed up for Plusnet Fibre and I have a few queries

Hi,
I have literately just signed up for Plusnet Fibre. When I was paying it said that on the next screen it will let me arrange a time for an engineer to do the phone line, however I didn't see that option. So I was wondering how long is the average wait? Been without broadband for over a month now thanks to Virgin Media, so I'm a little impatient Cheesy
It said in the email my broadband speed should fall within the range of 40mb - 40mb, so actually 40mb? I was lucky to get 2mb with my last provider...
Is Plusnet good for gaming?
And how will they set up the Phoneline? I already have phone line but it's probably 60 years old and is attatched to a telegraph pole so not likely to be any fibre optic jazz in there.
And one final question is it REALLY Fibre Optic? Virgin Media claimed that I had and charged me for Fibre Optic but it was coming through an old copper cable which was weathered and damaged.
I hope someone can help me. Thanks  Roll_eyes
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Just signed up for Plusnet Fibre and I have a few queries

It may be self-install, hence no engineer needed at your home.
The fibre only goes to the street cabinet you are connected to. It is then effectively "spliced" (with electronic equipment) into your existing phone line there.
So the last part of the connection comes over your existing phone line. Just like a cable service comes over a metal conductor (coax cable) from their cabinets (which are fed by fibre).
Lots more detail, but that's very simplistic summary.  Wink
vikixc
Dabbler

Oh I see, thanks Smiley
I hope an engineer will come because I paid for installation, I have never had broadband through a phone line, no idea how to set it up  Shocked
vikixc
Dabbler

Just realised I don't even have phone line it got cut in the 80's 😕 so what will happen?
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Most of your questions can be answered here : https://portal.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/

Do I need an existing landline to signup for a Plusnet package?
No. If you don't already have a line we can install one for you. Depending on the work required, we may need to book an engineer to install the service for you. We'll confirm this when you signup.

So, You must have an active working phone line installed first before a Broadband  FTTC/ VDSL  connection can be made. 
Have you paid for phone line  installation ?  To provide a new line costs £49.99.  Plus net will get BT OpenReach to instal and connect a new line  line as BT/OR  own and maintain all the phone lines over which Plus net deliver the broadband service . Once this is active then your broadband service of whatever type, will be installed.
How did you get the estimate of the speed you migt expect if you have no phone line? Was it from your postcode? This method is not reliable and your eventual speed could be much slower or much faster!
One thing you should make sure you have is a standard telephone receiver to plug into your phone line , not a cordless type, even if you plan to make no phone calls. This is important as if things do not work as expected or there is a fault, you will be asked to check the phone line before you can ask for assitance from Plus Net .
Oho, I don't want to be a bringer of doom, but  don't expect things to happen that quickly: It can take a while for all this to come together. I'd say there is no such thing as an "average wait"!  If they encounter problems conencting your new phone line or even allocating you a circuit,  then you may have wait even longer. Be prepared to keep badgering  and asking for updates on progress.
Good luck
vikixc
Dabbler

QTY ITEM FROM TO PRICE
Total: £73.97
(inc VAT)
1 Phone line installation fee - - £49.99
1 Line Rental - - £16.99
1 ADSL Initial Subscription - - £14.99
1 Special Offer Discount - - -£14.99
1 Postage and Packaging Cost - - £6.99
Yeah I think I have paid for it, luckily Smiley
Why can't I use a wireless phone? I only have a wireless one which my brother gave us :s
And yep the speed estimate is done via post code.
Edit: Oh i think you mean a phone that doesn't plug into the wall. Mine plugs into the wall but the handset thing is actually cordless
mav:quote
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

First of all, what date was this order begun?
If you are still waiting after a week then I think you should contact Plus Net and ask what's happening and when you might expect an update. They may not know but it pays to give them regular nudges. Do not rely on this forum to get things moving but if any PN staff monitor this thread then they may give you an update. Cheesy
Why can't I use a wireless phone? I only have a wireless one which my brother gave us :s
And yep the speed estimate is done via post code

Because wirefree landline  phones will sometimes not work too well and can produce unwanted interference on a phone circuit which will prevent the ADSL broadband from working properly. There are many examples of this, especially if the phone is an older model
A corded phone can be bought from Argos for £4.99. or less. I would get one in case. You don't have to use it all the time. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3924358.htm
Don't regard the speed estimate you were given, (or the time scale !)  as a promise: the speed estimate  could be a very inaccurate ( as could the time to get your line working ) . Read the FAQ'as I suggested, be patient and be preapred to badger for progress on the installation!