Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just returned to Plusnet and still have speed/sync issues after 14 days

CJBlue
Dabbler

Just returned to Plusnet and still have speed/sync issues after 14 days

Hi,

I decided to rejoin Plusnet after about a year away and before I switched I was syncing at about 70 down 20 up, the day the phone line switched over that dropped to 60 down 20 up.

I left it to see if the sync/speed would sort itself over the initial 14 day period but it hasn't and this morning I got the following email from Plusnet:

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated line speed: 67Mbps to 80Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.
Current line speed: 78Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 60Mbps
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

I've not raised a ticket for this as I'm at work and I'll do that and the associated tests when I get home but could do with some help - I suspect Openreach have broken something when I switched over :(.

I'm not sure how the system thinks my current line speed is 78 as my router is only syncing at 60 😕

The email saying "Hey you've got 78Mbps" was the prompt for me to reach out for help lol.

Any help much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Just returned to Plusnet and still have speed/sync issues after 14 days

The e-mail you have received is some automated thing that gets sent out after 14 days and doesn't mean much. The estimated and minimum (MGALS) speeds are taken from the BT line checker so only estimates. The Current line speed is PlusNet's own line profile which appears to be set to the maximum and can limit your maximum speed but is not an actual speed, it should be updated by the BT wholesale line profile but in any case because of previous changes to PlusNet's network it does not control the speed for most customers (unless you have ordered a static  public IP address).

So ignore that e-mail, your actual throughput speed is basically down to your sync speed which is dependent on line length and controlled by BT Openreach dynamic line management (DLM)

When a line is migrated DLM is reset so you go back to 6dB default noise margin and no retransmission (G.Inp) which is an improved error correction method. Removing these will reduce your sync speed considerably it should come back when DLM takes action, could be in a few days or maybe longer. So it's just a question of waiting for your speed to improve.Smiley

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @CJBlue, welcome back!

While what @RealAleMadrid is pretty much spot on, with the estimates for your connection being 67.5Mbps to 80Mbps and your connection currently being in sync at 60.9Mbps, I'd recommend going through our troubleshooting guides Here and if the speeds don't improve, please report a fault on your account over at https://faults.plus.net

If you do raise a fault via the link above, please let us know back here and we'll get the ticket picked up for you. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
CJBlue
Dabbler

Thanks @HarryB,

Didn't get a chance to do the troubleshooting until tonight:

One thing I've spotted is I get this strange alternating tone instead of the usual dialtone you would expect, I tried to attach a recording of it but it won't let me as it's a .m4a audio file. (I can send you it in a direct message if you like).

Other than that, here's some DSL stats from my router if that helps:

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 60897 21289
Current throughput kbit/s 60897 20000
Seamless rate adaptation   off off

Latency   8 ms fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   3 0
G.INP   off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 6
Bitswap   on on
Line attenuation dB 15 13
approximate line length m 303  

Profile 17a    
G.Vector   off off

Carrier record   A43 A43

I've raised a ticket for this (183862993) , during the questions I selected there was no dial tone as I got the alternating tone instead of what I expected , not sure if that was entirely the correct selection but there wasn't an option for "Strange Alternating Tone" instead.

I was able to dial the 17070 number and do the quiet line test.

Hope this helps find the fault.

Thanks

CJBlue
Dabbler

Ok, ignore the dialtone thing - turns out it I had 1571 voicemails , not used to that so though it was an error , doh 😕

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @CJBlue, thanks for raising the fault. Ideally the option of 'there is a dial tone' needs to be selected otherwise it picks up you are raising a phone issue to us.

Not to worry however, I've raised this to our suppliers and updated the ticket here with the next steps.

Just let us know once you have responded and we will pick this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team