cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved

Bitemeh1980
Grafter

Just moved

Hey there, i'll keep it as short and sweet as i can. I recently moved house and its been 9 or 10 days now since my Fibre was activated. I was under the impression that fibre generally stabilizes after only 3 or 4 days? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I  have uploaded a SS of what BT thinks i should be getting, sadly im just not getting the minimum. I'm barely pushing 7mb upload and 40 download. The upload is literally half of what i was getting in my old address and the download is a good 15mb less also. The speeds have actually reduced slightly as well which is saddening. I need them to go up! LaughGrin

At my new address i am closer to the exchange and the little green cabinet so i thought i should be getting better speeds. I know its early days but i've read posts of Plusnet staff asking customers to get in touch so thought id try the same, maybe you might see something your end.

Also knowing the people i bought this property from, they were with BT and were getting much higher speeds at this address which puzzles me.

Added a SS of my best test yet which was nice to see. IP Profile went down a little for some reason. 

Anyway i know you all are busy but if someone can take a peek it would be very much appreciated. 

Many thanks as always from a happy 15 year customer of Plusnet! 

15 REPLIES 15
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Just moved

Hello @Bitemeh1980,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum. We are sorry to see that you are experiencing speeds below your estimates, I have updated your fault ticket here.

Please get back to us when you have updated your ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

So i had an electrician fit a new master socket, an Openreach 2018 mk4 socket. Upload speeds have literally tripled. Getting between 18 and 20 upload speeds which is great! However download speeds are sat around 50mb. Plusnet phoned me today insisting an engineer visit is still needed and if i refuse the visit (which i did) they are going to close the fault. I was under the impression that if you were using the test switch and there were problems you wouldnt need to pay for the engineer. 

Anyway is there still nothing plusnet can do? Maybe change the Plusnet Line Speed to its correct value etc? DLM reset? 

Many thanks as always Smiley

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Bitemeh1980 ,

Thanks for your post.

We've run further testing on your line and although we aren't detecting any form of fault, we have detected a 'bridge tap' on the line as illustrated in your GEA test results below:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY> Service ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY>

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 52.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 18.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 501.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-10-19T18:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 48.3 Mbps 52.0 Mbps 50.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.6 Mbps 19.0 Mbps 15.4 Mbps
Up Time 268.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 897.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-10-24T12:13:29Z 2018-10-24T12:28:29Z
Ingress Code Violation 17 6
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We believe that this 'bridge tap' could be causing the lower sync speed. Can you confirm whether or not you're using any sort of extension lead/socket for your phone line?

With regards the engineer visit, I'm not really overly confident that an SNR reset will fix this issue, especially with the 'bridge tap' in place. To confirm though - with a fibre connection we do need to send out an engineer to perform the reset as the work is done at the cabinet and not at our end as with ADSL.

I've pasted in the charging statement below for your review but I do believe that the issue is the 'bridge tap' which is generally (but not always) an internal wiring issue. I understand that you have been plugged into the test socket and as the issue persists there oughtn't be a charge but the statement also covers things like you not being available when the engineer attends, or cancelling without 48 hours notice, which is why we would need your acceptance via the ongoing ticket you currently have here.

To progress your fault, we need to arrange an engineer visit. Please reply to this message with ideally 3 available time slots for an engineers visit. The available time slots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm.

I also need you to be aware of and agree to the following statement to allow me to book the appointment:

"Before we book an engineer to investigate and try to fix your issue, I need to make you aware of the following information, and you will need to accept before we proceed.

If the engineer finds the fault to be with one of the checks we have asked you to do, you miss the appointment, or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time, we will add a one off fee of £65 to your bill. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property, and the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists.

We are very stringent when accepting and passing on these charges, and protecting both you and us from paying a charge.

So that we may book an engineer, do you accept the possibility of a charge to your account? "

Please confirm that you agree to the above statement and your availability for a visit. Time slots are 0800-1300 and 1300-1800 Monday to Friday.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please let me know when you've had a chance to review the statement and your thoughts on the matter.

Bitemeh1980
Grafter

How soon can an engineer be out? Im asking because of my work days, they are different every week. But if he can be out in a week or 2 i can let you know what days i shall be in. Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Bitemeh1980

Have you tried testing from your test socket with no phone connected? To do this take the front off your master socket, if this is the latest type it will just be clipped on. With the older ones you need to remove two screws. iIn behind you will find the test socket. If you plug your router in here.via a filter with no phone connected and the speed is still low then the fault is not in your property.

I had a bridge tap identified on my line once. This can be caused by an accessory that gets it's power from the telephone line. In my case it was a call blocker.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bitemeh1980
Grafter

Hi there thanks for the reply. I dont have a phone connected at all. I removed it years ago because of the spam, bots telling me i need a new boiler and new windows lol. Yes i plugged right into test switch in master socket.

Bitemeh1980
Grafter

After calling Plusnet twice and being on the phone on wait for almost 30 mins each time and then being cut off, i wondered if an admin here can answer a quick question please. What time is the engineer coming out today please?
Thanks
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

Update: after plusnet saying there is a bridge tap on the line the engineer said there is not and there is no problems of any kind. Is plusnet wrong or the engineer? He said speeds are pretty much normal where as plusnet said they believe i should be getting higher.
Also do i get charged for the engineer visit now?
Many thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

A DLM reset isn't going to help if we're picking up on a bridge tap as that's likely to be an issue that's causing DLM to react. Would it be possible for us to arrange a time when we can run another GEA with no equipment at all connected to the line to see if that's still being detected?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

The engineer performed several tests with no hardware connected and reported no faults at all. He was here for some time. Also do i get charged for this visit? Many thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests are no longer showing a bridge tap which is good however we can see that the sync speeds are still below the estimates.

I'll update your open fault shortly but most likely it will need to be another engineer visit as our tests aren't showing any cause for this

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

Are my download speeds capped or something? My ip profile wont go above 50 when it should be higher. Engineer said there is definately no fault with the line or wiring in the house or at the cabinet. He tried multiple tests and checked with no hardware at all connected. Why wont my downloads increase Plusnet?

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear your speeds haven't increased yet.

I've tested your line and I can confirm there's no caps in place as your current profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

We'll get your open fault updated shortly

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

I appreciate the help but i dont see how another engineer visit will help. Last one found no faults of any kind at my home or the cabinet. Many thanks