cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved from Sky - sync speed lower and getting worse

pauldavies83
Dabbler

Just moved from Sky - sync speed lower and getting worse

I switched to PN from Sky on 13/03, and my sync speed was instantly lower than Sky. Now (over 2 weeks in) it seems to be reducing all the time.

My Sky router was last synced at.. (and when I checked for a while before moving)

Modem Status: Connected
Traffic Type : PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):7154
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39999

Initially PN router was synced around 34000-ish (I didn't record actual number, sorry), its currently

Downstream: 27.36 Mbps
Upstream: 7.234 Mbps

Why would the same line, with the same internal conditions, be so much slower with one provider than another, when the only variable is the router and the provider?

Can someone at PN look at the line profile and see why this is?

19 REPLIES 19
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Just moved from Sky - sync speed lower and getting worse

Hi Paul,

The profile for your line was set a bit lower than I'd expect, so I've bumped this up.

Your sync speed however, is a lot lower than I'd expect and is actually below the bottom end of your line estimate.

Get your router into the test socket as shown here and give it 24 hours to resync - if it doesn't pick up, raise a fault here and we'll ask our suppliers to take a look for you.

Best wishes

Dave

pauldavies83
Dabbler

Dave, thanks for such as fast (knowledgable) response - I tried support chat 1st, and the advisor was less than helpful unfortunately.

I'll monitor it and raise a ticket if necessary.

OOI, what was the line profile set at and what have you moved it to?

(is it reasonable to expect similar/comparable sync speeds between yourselves and Sky - I was on the "lower" speed Fibre package with Sky)

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Paul,

No worries at all.

From memory, I think it was on 37mb/s - so definitely not the cause of your low sync speed, but maybe a factor later down the line.

And yes, it's a reasonable assumption - I'd expect some variance (different kit in the exchange etc) but not to the levels you're seeing at present.

Let us know if/when you raise a fault.

Cheers

Dave

pauldavies83
Dabbler

I've raised this as a fault

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=188990636

From the BTWholesale speed tests, it appears my IP Profile for line is - 25.24 Mbps and a "25.24 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed", which is considerably lower than the line has been proven to support with Sky, and even below the worst case estimate given on signup (Your broadband speed should be between 27Mbps - 40Mbps)

checker.png

Thanks for your help

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @pauldavies83, I've just looked into the fault you raised and tested the line. You're currently syncing at band on the 27.4Mbps download, so everything seems okay.

You have had a few drops per day recently though so It might be the DLM keeping it low. Are you resetting your router manually or is it doing it by itself? If not it might be worth looking into an engineer visit, assuming you have already done the checks @RandallFlagg advised.  

pauldavies83
Dabbler

Thanks for looking @Optimatts 

I've restarted the router manually a couple of times as @RandallFlagg advised he'd made a profile change and I hadn't seen any change my end. - router was still syncing lower than I'd expect (and have been able to with Sky).

I'm in the test socket with a new microfilter, it hasn't made any difference between that and using the Mk3 filtered Openreach faceplate (not surprising as I don't have any internal extensions and the faceplate is working fine). 

When you say "everything seems okay", why is the sync (and therefore) throughput speed so much lower than it was with Sky? Is it being managed down by DLM? In which case, can this be changed?

Cheers

Paul

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries @pauldavies83,

A few disconnections a day might be causing the DLM to think there's a problem and lowering the sync to 'manage' stability.

When I said everything seems okay, I tested your line and I wasn't able to see problems or causes. Your sync is within its estimated range, albeit at the lowest estimate.

I agree it seems odd that you initially synced at 34000 and you were syncing at around 40000 when you were with Sky.

DLM can be changed remotely however, this change will only affect the profile not the conditions on the line such as drops. If you are rebooting a 2-3 times a day, it might be worth leaving it and seeing if the sync increases by itself over a couple of days.

pauldavies83
Dabbler

Cool, thanks for the info.

Well, i'll reassemble the master socket as it seems we are satisfied there is no internal problem, and pick this up again early next week.

Are there any limiting settings possible anywhere, other than DLM? i.e. is there a level of service (or similar) cap set anywhere within the Openreach or Plusnet domains limiting the sync speed? (you'll have to forgive my lack of current terminology - it's been a while since I did ASDL support back in the ADSL-MAX/2+ days Smiley )

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @pauldavies83

There aren't any other settings which would limit your sync. Your connection profile is set to  37000 so that's all good. Your BT profile is fine otherwise you wouldn't be syncing as what we see upon testing. This is also why amending you DLM would not make any difference as it would only fall in line with the perimeters already set.

The only other factor that comes to mind is if you're using your own router that may have some settings where you can manually tweak the SNR. (very uncommon, but just a thought)

See how it goes for a few days without any reboots and get back to us if there's still a problem

pauldavies83
Dabbler

So my previous ticket (above) closed after things improved for a week or two, but we are now right back where we started (perhaps even worse)

I've opened a new ticket on Monday 8/7/19, but haven't had any response yet

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=comment_question&id=191893466

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @pauldavies83,

I'm sorry to hear that your fault has returned. Upon testing your line this afternoon I'm seeing a downstream sync speed of 27.4Mbps going into the property, though the line appears to be banded. As this is the case we'd need to get an engineer out to take a further look into this and move the banding, so I've responded to the new fault ticket on your account which can be viewed here.

Please let us know once you've been able to respond to the ticket and we'll pick this up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
pauldavies83
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

Am more than happy for an engineer to visit. However, if you refer to my previous ticket (188990636), we have already had an engineer visit and he replaced the master socket inside the property, so I don't really see what else can be done internally here.

If you think it's still required, my availability is in the ticket.

Thanks

Paul

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@pauldavies83,

Unfortunately as it's still ongoing there's little we can change remotely anymore to so unfortunately it's down to a process of elimination. As the previous engineer changes the socket and the problem continues we can only request another who will check/tweak something else. I've update the ticket with the appointment confirmation.

pauldavies83
Dabbler

Engineer attended - I updated the ticket