cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved from Sky - sync speed dropped

FurstyFerret
Hooked

Just moved from Sky - sync speed dropped

Moved to PlusNet from Sky a few days ago but the sync speed has dropped from 72mbps to 60.  Surprised to see such a change when all fibre stuff handled by Openreach.  The modem is an Openreach one I've been using for years.
Thanks,
Dave.
13 REPLIES 13
blundey
Dabbler

Re: Just moved from Sky - sync speed dropped

I wonder if there is more underhand tactics going on here, as you should be seeing the same speeds regrdless of provider. They set the speeds on your user profile for your account. Have a word and let us know how you get on.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

underhand tactics in what way?
blundey
Dabbler

I have personally witnessed and seen others on this board pay for and buy the top package fibre extra, and be put on the package below thus limiting speeds. Its not rocket science to order a package and provide it to a customer. The question is how many customers have they done this to that have not noticed? Think of the money and capacity PN will save by not providing the faster service. The wording of UPTO gives PN plenty of leeway in contending speed problems.
That said, with this particular issue stated above. He is able to get 76mbps to his modem. He is only getting 60mb. I too am capable of getting more than 60mbps, however I took am limited to that figure. Strangley my next door neighbour gets the full 80 as advertised from a different provider.
This is why i believe there are som underhand tactics going on.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you can post the sync speed you must have an unlocked modem - can you post the noise margin
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our tests show you're syncing at 60.3 mbps and your profile is '0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off'.
Is your Openreach modem a ECI or Huawei one?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
FurstyFerret
Hooked

Hi Matthew.
It's a Huawei modem connected directly to the master socket - there's no extension wiring in this house being a new build.
Noise margin is 6.2dB.  Can't tell you what it was with Sky as the modem doesn't report it when g.inp is on.
I was a bit surprised because I didn't expect the speed to change at all, unless with Sky the modem was holding a higher speed with more errors until the resysnc which took it to where it should be.
Thanks,
Dave.
Talamat
Grafter

I'm getting the same impression (switched from Sky to Plusnet).  If there were any errors on the line the Sky didn't seem to react to them as harshly as Plusnet's network does.
XenoGuy
Grafter

Why did the OP move from Sky? I'm in two minds to either move to Sky or TalkTalk, as they're LLU, they have their own equipment, hence better....
BTW, I'm still on DSL, not trolling, but just interested to hear why they moved.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: XenoGuy
as they're LLU, they have their own equipment, hence better....

that's quite a leap to make!
XenoGuy
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
that's quite a leap to make!

Isn't that what LLU is? Different (DSL/VDSL) equipment than BT? Ofc, not necessarily better than BT's but.
chenks76
All Star

it was the "hence better" that i was suggesting was the leap.
you still use the same openreach network from the exchange to your house regardless if it's LLU or not.
FurstyFerret
Hooked

Why did the OP move from Sky

Bill rocketed to over £50/month.  They offered to reduce it but in the long run the 18 month contract with PlusNet worked out cheaper. And the internet is freshly piped from Yorkshire.
chenks76
All Star

£50pm wasn't just for telephone/internet though...