cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just migrated from ADSL to Fibre..

goldenbone02
Hooked

Just migrated from ADSL to Fibre..

Managed to snag a momentarily available fibre slot in my local cabinet - as a result I was migrated from ADSL to Fibre today. I'm getting really terrible speeds - 15mb down / 4mb up

When I run the BT Wholesale performance test it says:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 62.45 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 11.32 Mbps-16.17 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 16.17 Mbps

Now surely I should get getting that top number there as my speed, given it is able to attain that..

Does anyone have any advice for me - is it just a case of 'call support' ?

Cheers!

14 REPLIES 14
goldenbone02
Hooked

Re: Just migrated from ADSL to Fibre..

In fact.. I've just re-ran the BT Wholesale checker on a different browser, and the download speed matches the IP profile setting (16.17mbps)

According to DSL checker, that's massively less than even the impacted minimum speed.. any idea what the problem could be?

Cheers!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi and thanks for getting in touch.

I agree that something is amiss here - I've tested your line from our side with similar results.

Could you please confirm that you currently have the router connected to the test socket of your premises (the one that sits behind the BT faceplate) and we'll get this raised as a fault for you?

Best wishes,

Dave

goldenbone02
Hooked

Hi Dave, thanks for getting in touch so quickly!

Its currently connected to the Master socket, I'll remove the faceplate when I get home from work and hook up to the test socket.

Cheers!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks @goldenbone02.

Once in the test socket, please run another speed test and get back to us here with the result. We would ask  that you leave your equipment plug into the test socket and raise a fault here if it is still below estimates.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenbone02
Hooked

Hi Dave,

OK, I've taken the faceplate off and plugged into the test socket (I've got one of the new 5C master sockets - it was installed by the BT engineer when I got my ADSL installed)

Still getting broadly the same sync speed (16Mb down / 4Mb up) and performance (i.e. rubbish Smiley )

I've run various speed tests, they all corroborate the sync speed as displayed in advanced settings on the router.

I'm using all new cables and the hub that was sent when I upgraded to the new connection.
I've been through the Troubleshooter to raise a ticket, but I'm not sure it's captured everything in here properly.. I told the system it was a speed problem, and it started asking questions about when does it drop out..

Any and all assistance gratefully accepted.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@goldenbone02

Rather than a speed test, what speeds are reported in the Help desk tab on your router. Synch Speed, and Max Attainable speed.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks for getting back to us@goldenbone02.

We have noticed 8 drops within 24 hours, can you advised if you have reset the router at all? and how many times? This will ensure we raise it to our supplier for further investigation correctly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenbone02
Hooked

Hi Sammy,

yeah, I have rebooted it several times, largely in disbelief! It could have been 8 times but I’ve not been counting. Certainly possible!

Took a screengrab of my router broadband config page - it’s showing 16.73Mbps down and 3.536Mbps up.

anything else I can answer?

cheers

goldenbone02
Hooked

My line stats just now..My line stats just now..

goldenbone02
Hooked

And this is what DSLchecker say..And this is what DSLchecker say..

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That is not looking good, you should be getting much higher speeds - hopefully PN will get an engineer out to sort out your line.

Not sure if it was asked earlier, but have you tried dialling 17070 option 2 = is the line quiet?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I think the next step is to arrange an engineer visit to investigate the slow speeds further.

If you can reply to your fault ticket Here with your availability and drop us a reply over here once you've done so we'll pick it up and get the appointment booked in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenbone02
Hooked

Thanks - I'll do that now. The master socket was installed by the engineer sent when I had my ADSL provisioned in early may by plusnet - it's a new build house, so if the wiring is rubbish, I won't be too happy Smiley

Thanks to everyone who's pitched in - much appreciated.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @goldenbone02

Just a quick reply to confirm that I've booked the engineer for you and updated your ticket here

Best wishes,

Dave