Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined today and pings quite high

FIXED
rob77
Hooked

Just joined today and pings quite high

Hi guys

Ive just had my line transferred from vodafone broadband to plusnet and wondered if it takes some time for the line to settle down? On vodafone I was getting around 6ms pings to servers near me. These have increased to 30ms with plusnet. Is this normal at first?

Speeds are not as good either but I have changed my modem too from the BT openreach ECI model to the HG612 which could be a factor.

Any advise would be most welcome

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Just joined today and pings quite high

Fix

Hi

it takes 10-days of line training when you first get connected so your speed may start off low then climb during this period, this is normal and what DLM is meant to do.

as for your latency, a ping of 30ms is about the norm for a new connection (20-40ms depending on service), if you got 6ms on Vodafone then you must have been on Fastpath (error protection disabled), Plusnet also supports fastpath but its down to DLM to enable it, basically after your 10 day period if your Errored Seconds are below a certain threshold then DLM will disable Error Protection (Interleaving and INP) and your pings will drop to 7-20ms, Iam on 80Mb and with Fastpath the fastest ping I can get is 13ms - the closer you are to your cabinet the quicker it is, so if you had 7ms before then you must be close enough and also your speed should be pretty good after day 10

I would wait until day 10/11 then re-visit Smiley

rob77
Hooked

Thank you so much snadge for the informative reply. I will leave it and see how it gets on.

I was concerned that the change of modem might have disrupted the line training. My old one was connected since this morning when my line went live. And I only changed to the new one about 4pm.

Cheers
snadge
Aspiring Pro

that should be fine as long as your router is correctly configured, try not to repeatedly turn it on/off etc during training as it can have an affect, but once is fine - if you done it a few times DLM may think the line is less stable and could impact the outcome

rob77
Hooked

Thanks. I will leave it well alone for now Smiley

Do you know if there is a way I can tell if training is being done on my line from the stats on my HG612 modem?

snadge
Aspiring Pro

unfortunately no, all you can do is monitor the stats, keep an eye on ES (Errored Seconds), nobody knows what the magic number is for the Fastpath threshold but some say 30 per hour... over and FP wont be turned on by DLM, under and it will (thats if it IS 30 per hour)

you can get a program called DSLstats which can pull stats from your modem

http://dslstats.me.uk/

rob77
Hooked

Thanks mate

I'm guessing you need the unlocked huawei modem to get the stats? I tested the huawei but saw I was connected to a ECI cab so have swapped back the modem to match it. The speed has actually decreased again to around 47Mbs. On my old provider I would get around 53Mbs. Hoping it just the line training causing it.

When I first got fibre back in 2013ish with sky I used to get the full 80Mb but as the years have passed it just got slower and slower.