cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just heard Plusnet now have a Hub.

momist
Dabbler

Re: Just heard Plusnet now have a Hub.

Anyone having moved to a Hub One, how are you finding the wireless performance please?  On ADSL2+ I had to replace the Technicolor router with a Netgear DGN2200v3 to get the wifi into the bedrooms.  I've just received the Hub One, but not yet got the fibre.
scottymc
Grafter

Buddy
I have a new build 3 story house and the WiFi is fine works fine streaming to the top floor,
No lag on the xbox one while playing online
2.4 signal works alot better over distance than 5g but Imo  it's a good solid router
momist
Dabbler

Thanks for that @ scottymc.  That's very reassuring to me, as I confess I was rather 'talked into' taking the fibre option during a complaint to PN about the charges for my ADSL.  I hadn't gone into it with the intention of changing anything other than the cost.  I now will pay £1 more per month instead!  Shocked
I'll come back once it has been set up to let people know how the wifi compares with the Netgear.
amcclean
Rising Star

What is the make and model number of the hub?
podman
momist
Dabbler

Totally Plusnet branded, with no model number.  Manufacturer is Sagemcom, made in China.  Just called "Plusnet Hub One"
lukec
Dabbler

Be aware though, if you require using a block of static IPs (/30, /29, /28) The PlusNet Hub1 is incapable of supporting this. The BThub5 on PN will support it however, CWMP or TR69 (I believe) forces a reboot of the hub and destroys it's settings. Only with PN for a week and PN support don't seem to know this. Most "connected" time is 2 and a bit days before having to go through the rigmarole of making it work again.
When it works - it's fine.
Seems Support at PN or BT don't get you to the right level of Tech Support to go through what's happening.
Recorded events
Time and date Message
17:29:21, 27 Feb. ( 1421.110000) CWMP: session completed successfully
17:29:10, 27 Feb. ( 1410.570000) CWMP: Set Parameter by TR069 Success
momist
Dabbler

OK lukec,  why would I need a block of static IPs?  Are you talking about the local area IPs, such as for the printer, mobiles, laptops etc.?  I don't expect it will be much different than the ADSL was in those terms, the printer went 'missing' every so often, but a printer reboot sorted that out.  Other things didn't seem to suffer.
lukec
Dabbler

momist - No need in general, the DHCP service on the hub allocates a network for you to devices on your local network. Generally a RFC1918 address block (usually 192.168.1.0/25) and allocates addresses from that block. The "outside" of your router has a "valid" IP address that is routable on the public Internet, unlike the RFC1918 blocks. The router performs PAT (Port Address Translation - many to one) and uses the outside address for connections to the Internet from any device you have inside.
ref https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918 (detailed)  -    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network (less detailed)
So generally you wouldn't need it, unless doing something that requires a specific IP address for a particular device on the "inside" separate to all your other devices... This is NAT (Network Address Translation - one to one) which the PNH1 can't seem to do. The BTHH5 can...(what they call "Multi NAT" - a misnomer but does describe it...
Hope this helps...
Timalay
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
Quote from: Timalay
Not close to the same spec as Plusnet's Hub One in my honest opinion.

very true. the billion is far superior

We will have agree to disagree.
momist
Dabbler

Thanks lukec, I thought that was what you were referring to.  I suspect that most people who need to have static IPs in their system will be technical enough to invest in a better router as a matter of course.  My only worry so far is whether the wifi will give good enough coverage in my 1960's house full of foil backed plasterboard and cement walls.  The Plusnet Technicolor TG582n wasn't a success, and prompted the purchase of the Netgear to improve things.
Does such a thing as a smart phone switch seamlessly between ac and n (5GHz and 2.4GHz) as the higher frequency weakens with shielding and distance?
jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HughPH
You're allowed to have an opinion, but what about some analysis?
What are the features of each? What are the actual specifications of each? With so many people saying the 8800NL is "better," there must be measurable differences between the two. Is it just grass-is-greener? Or is it the placebo effect? Or is one actually better than the other?
If you have information, please post sources - otherwise you're no better than an audiophile, conspiracy theorist or used car salesman.

I can't give full specs for each but can say that a quick look online shows many Billion 8800NL users suffer from poor wifi performance, however it's highly recommended when used just as a modem especially for ADSL as you can adjust the SNR margin. The Plusnet Hub One offers better wifi coverage with dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz N Speeds upto 300mbps and AC speeds up 1300mbps, it also has 4 Gigabit ethernet ports. The 8800NL only has 2.4ghz wifi and upto 300mbps and also only has 1 gigabit ethernet port. The Hub One uses a Lantiq chipset VS the billion which uses a broadcom chipset. I have a Plusnet Hub One and just wish they would allow the option of custom DNS servers, it can be done as the BT Home Hub business versions has this option.
lukec
Dabbler

Another downside to the PN hub1 is that it is not able to handle static IP NAT unlike the BTBH5. It allows a single static IP, but being provided with a /30 from PN the PNhub1 does not allow the use of the second IP network to be used.
Attempting to use the BTHH5 one can get this to work until the BT auth/TR69 service decides it wants to reboot the device. Then it does not connect again. I guess that the BTHH5's serial number is still in BT's TR69 database, with no way to get it removed. At least PN provides a mechanism to disable TR69...
If anyone knows how to achieve this with BT it would be very helpful.... Have tried Netgear Nighthawk and Asus DSL-AC68U... both to no avail. Angry  (BT blame PN, PN blame BT...round and round we go)
momist
Dabbler

Just a quick follow up to my post.  I have installed the PN Hub One now and, through a c*ck-up by PN, am using it only for ADSL2+.  My fibre connection is still subject to negotiation.  PN sent me a text to inform me the fibre connection was live, but apparently they are now embarrassed to find that it isn't, and for some reason might not become so.
The wifi coverage seems somewhat improved upon the old Netgear DGN300 I was using instead of the rubbish Technicolor thing PN supplied last time. 
Interestingly, the external IP may be dynamic, but the local IP addresses can be set fixed if you like, so now my wifi printer will hopefully not keep getting lost and needing re-boots to reconnect the wifi.  Mobile phones and such don't seem to suffer that way, being happy to re-negotiate a dynamic IP whenever necessary.
The most useful function I've found so far is the ability to turn the LED indicator to 'DIM'.  The LEDs are so bright, a double layer of white tape over them still didn't stop the glare, but setting to dim, together with the white tape, gives a gentle coloured glow just strong enough to show it's still functioning correctly.
Whether I will ever get a fibre connection still lays with the gods of internet obfuscation.  Similarly, if I cancel the contract through not getting the connection, I suppose I may be asked to return the router.