cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just heard Plusnet now have a Hub.

dnpark38
Rising Star

Just heard Plusnet now have a Hub.

Just read PlusNet are now officially self install and are issuing a Hub One to new customers, mine was self install last year as Open Reach did not come so hopefully I did it right and matched the OR modem and router up OK both posted from PN.
Anyone obtained a Hub One and using in place of separate Modem and Router and is it working better, same or worse?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
27 REPLIES 27
ian4993
Dabbler

Re: Just heard Plusnet now have a Hub.

On upgrade to fibre I self installed a hub one with no problems. Getting 37.49 down and 1.90 up. Previously had a technicolor router which regularly dropped out.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. As a customer myself I recently changed my setup from the OR modem + Hub Zero to the new Hub One. I've found that there are two benefits; it's a cleaner setup and also the dual band wireless connectivity is faster if you're close to the router. If you're interested, our Customer Options Team (0800 013 2632) would be happy to post one (worth £99.99) but free of charge as part of a new contract. The only one off payment would be the P&P for £6.99.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dnpark38
Rising Star

Thanks Anoush, will bear that in mind when the time comes to renew a while yet to run on present.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
Timalay
Grafter

I've hand the Plusnet Hub One for a month now, and it been rock solid.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Verry happy with mine all round. Rock solid since installation a couple months ago. Better than the Openreach ECI modem and Technicolor fibre router I had.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

bear in mind that for £99 there are far superior combined routers you can buy
Timalay
Grafter

The only one I've seen close to that price is TP-Link, and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
chenks76
All Star

Billion 8800NL
jmcm
Dabbler

If you take out a new contract, does it change current payments in any way? or does it just tie you in for a particular length of contract?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If you have any broadband discounts, you would lose them, however potentially you could re-negotiate a new contract with our Customer Options Team if you are within the final 3 months of your current contract.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Timalay
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
Billion 8800NL

Not close to the same spec as Plusnet's Hub One in my honest opinion.
HughPH
Grafter

You're allowed to have an opinion, but what about some analysis?
What are the features of each? What are the actual specifications of each? With so many people saying the 8800NL is "better," there must be measurable differences between the two. Is it just grass-is-greener? Or is it the placebo effect? Or is one actually better than the other?
If you have information, please post sources - otherwise you're no better than an audiophile, conspiracy theorist or used car salesman.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: Timalay
Not close to the same spec as Plusnet's Hub One in my honest opinion.

very true. the billion is far superior
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Quote from: HughPH
You're allowed to have an opinion, but what about some analysis?
What are the features of each? What are the actual specifications of each? With so many people saying the 8800NL is "better," there must be measurable differences between the two. Is it just grass-is-greener? Or is it the placebo effect? Or is one actually better than the other?
If you have information, please post sources - otherwise you're no better than an audiophile, conspiracy theorist or used car salesman.

Does the Hub One support Wake on WAN/LAN , OpenVPN and PPTP VPN servers, remote media streaming, remote access via iOS/Android app, up to 900Mbps WiFi throughput, and file & printer sharing via 2x USB ports?
My Asus does, and it cost £75.
(This isn't a loaded question by the way, as I know very little about the Hub One, so it may well offer all of the above features).