cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got fibre

thegnarlypanda

Just got fibre

I got FTTC installed yesterday, and it's not as fast as I was expecting.
I've seen some of you mention on here that I should get my full speed straight away, others have said it takes around 10 days, others have said "do that BT wholesale check thing and give us your IP profile listed there"
Anyway, I was expecting at least 25mbps and I'm currently getting 16-17mbps on this laptop wired into the router.
Has something not been set up correctly somewhere down the line?
Here's the info from the BT thing:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 17.78 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 14.46 Mbps-18.07 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 18.07 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.08Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Just got fibre

Sorry to hear its below the estimate.
I've run a quick test and its not throwing up any major line issues.
Was the install done by a Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor like Kelly Communications?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thegnarlypanda

It's 4 times faster than it used to be so it's not all that bad, I'm just a little disappointed it's not as fast as I was expecting.
I'm pretty sure it was an openreach engineer, he actually lives just round the corner from me (slightly further from the cabinet) and claims he gets around 40mbps (he didn't say he was with plusnet, so I'm assuming he's with BT as no one else currently has fibre in our area).
I've had a look on www.dslchecker.bt.com as well and it's throwing out these numbers:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 34.7 25 7.4 5.7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 27.3 14 7.1 3.3 -- Available
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We can look at sending a engineer out to investigate this as a fault however there's a chance that's as good as it gets.
If you can let me know when your available next week I can get something booked in for you.
The available timeslots are 8am while 1pm and 1pm while 6pm. We should have from Monday to Friday available
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thegnarlypanda

Is it worth me waiting a week or so and seeing if it improves given the 10 days settling in time you guys mention?
It kinda bothers me paying for upto 38mbps, expecting 25mbps, and then getting 17.9 mbps.
dick:quote
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've not done any detailed tests so I can't be certain, but I don't think you'll see much change by waiting.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team