Current Line Speed (Download): 37Mbps

Status when I log into the router reports:

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 02:41:58
Downstream:    11.4 Mbps
Upstream:    694 Kbps

As it has just been connected today, how long to leave it till I raise a query around the guaranteed speed (however if it gets near the Current Line Speed reported in member center I'll be happy!!!)?

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Just connected...

@themcgarvie Welcome to the forum.

These results indicate that the service is not yet fully configured. This can take up until midnight.

If it doesn’t improve in the coming hours then try a factory reset of your hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in the factory reset hole. Hold the switch closed for about 30 seconds.

Edit.

I’ve just read your post again. The previous comment only applies if it’s the downstream that’s slow, not the upstream.

If it really is the downstream that’s 11.4 Mbps then I would be suspicious whether you have been put on ADSL, not fibre. If you log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in to the address field of your browser you can see what’s going on.

If you look through the settings and see the username is setup@plusdsl.net then it’s not yet configured. If you dig further and find G.ITU. 992.3 then you are on ADSL, if 993.2 then it’s fibre.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@themcgarvie  something does not look right there.

Are you plugged into an extension, and have you tried from the test socket?

If you log into the router, go to the Advanced then Troubleshooting, then Help Desk tab and post the results making sure you hide your username it may give some more clues as to the problem.

themcgarvie
Hooked

I'll leave for a bit and report back ... Only been plugged in for just over 3 hours.

It 'feels' faster than it's reporting... If that makes sense Smiley

themcgarvie
Hooked

Yeah its got my username...

Where do i find that other bit?

Using a plusnet hub one.

themcgarvie
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

Do you mean this?

23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
Baldrick1

@themcgarvie 

Yep, you are on fibre.

Have you done a quiet line test by ringing 17070 then option 2 to confirm that there’s no noise on the line?
The next thing to try is to take the front off your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket.  Plug your filter in here and see if that improves your speed. If it does then you have issues with your extension wiring. Come back for further advice on that.

If it’s no different then I’m afraid that you will have to wait the Plusnet 10 days waiting period before they will do anything. If this is the case then go back into the hub every day or so and see if the sync speed is increasing and the SNR reducing. This should have been reset by Openreach and be running at about 6dB.

Moderator and Customer

themcgarvie
Hooked

@Baldrick1 thanks for all that... I'm just impatient ... Just moved from a house with FTTP (yay) to FTTC (boo)... Just need to get used to it... That's the trade off for a nicer living environment I guess Smiley

Baldrick1

@themcgarvie 

Understood. The 10 day wait is unlikely to help much, but there it is. Yes, the DLM will retune to your line over the coming days but I would be surprised if your speed doubled, hence the advice to try to get you up to speed earlier. by eliminating a couple of the major causes of a slow connection.

Let us know how you get on.

Have you by any chance come from BT? If so be aware that you can use a BT FTTP Smarthub with Plusnet, they are far better devices than the Plusnet hub. You will find all the info that you need pinned to the top of the Router board.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So, getting back to my question, are you plugged into an extension?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@themcgarvie

Hey, I've had a look into this for you and everything looks OK our side but testing your line is showing your line's artificially restricted by software at the cabinet to a maximum of 11.4mbps which ties in with what your router's reporting. 

The tests are also showing what's known as a bridge tap so let's not wait 10 days as I doubt this will fix itself. A bridge tap is generally a wiring issue somewhere, that can be internal or external to your property. 

I'd recommend we arrange an engineer visit to resolve this and once that's been fixed, they should be resetting your line to remove the cap that's very likely brought on by the bridge tap.

Having said that it may be a good idea to first check you've plugged your router into the master telephone socket.

If that's the case, can you raise a fault to us at faults.plus.net and in the notes box at the end, please tell us when you'd be free for an engineer visit. The available timeslots are weekdays (and occasionally Saturday's) 8am while 1pm, or 1pm while 6pm. This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away once we've picked the fault up.

Feel free to post back if you need further help or when you've raised the fault and I'll make sure that is picked up as soon as we can and we book the engineer for you.

[edit]

Ah wait I need bigger glasses. I can see you've already raised a fault. I actually went to Specsavers this morning too...

[edit 2]

I've just picked up the fault now and added a reply you can respond to by going here Here or text back.

Let me know once you've responded and I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
themcgarvie
Hooked

Excellent, thank you very much... I have responded Smiley

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @themcgarvie,

I've had a look over the fault ticket and I can an appointment's been booked in. Let us know if there are any issues following the visit and we'll be happy to help out Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
themcgarvie
Hooked

I have just raised the fault again... Speed test when plugged directly into router is consistently about 10MB... Despite downsteam in router admin reporting double that...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @themcgarvie, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry that you are having some further issues with your speed. I have tested your line and we are seeing a sync speed of 18.7mb and no faults detected.

I have made some amendments to the account, can you please reboot your router and run a further speed test over Ethernet letting us know how you get on?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team