cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just connected, now no phone or fibre broadband!

Vic20
Dabbler

Just connected, now no phone or fibre broadband!

The Engineer came today to install my fibre connection. Whilst he was out at the street cabinet I checked the phone line and it was dead (normal I thought).
When he had finished, he connected the modem but it didn't sync up to DSL, he said this was quite normal and may take up to an hour, possibly needing a modem reset. He left
After two hours, the phone line is still dead and there is no ADSL sync Embarrassed
Please help
17 REPLIES 17
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Just connected, now no phone or fibre broadband!

Hi and welcome to the forums,
Thanks for letting us know about this, not the best work on behalf of the engineer. I've run a line test on your telephone and found a fault, which I've raised to be resolved. Once that's done, your internet connection should come back, but we'll need to re-assess the situation then.
I've raised a ticket on your account to monitor it.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Vic20
Dabbler

Thanks,
I must say, for the record that my transition to plusnet has not been a smooth one. Firstly, my telephone was switced three days before the broadband was due, leaving me with no ADSL connection for that period.
Secondly, just after my order I received a text to say BT would come  on the 14th of November to do the work. It was only when I checked this as a result of the early switch of the phone did I find that they were actually booked to come on the 13th (i.e today), leaving me to frantically switch my days off work.
I now have no line at all!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sounds like your "engineer" was a waste of space, I don't know how they get away with it, surely he should check that you have working FTTC connection and a phone line before he leaves. Saying it will be working in an hour is just unbelievable. I suspect it was a contractor and not a real Openreach guy? I hope it gets fixed soon. Sad
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Vic20
The Engineer came today to install my fibre connection. Whilst he was out at the street cabinet I checked the phone line and it was dead (normal I thought).
When he had finished, he connected the modem but it didn't sync up to DSL, he said this was quite normal and may take up to an hour, possibly needing a modem reset. He left
After two hours, the phone line is still dead and there is no ADSL sync Embarrassed
Please help

He was talking crap.
He should have left an oscilator in the phone line to produce a tone so he could find you in the CAB.
I bet he was Kelly or Quinn, they are both shocking - as the BTO engineer who came to my dads house said " all we do is go round fixing all the stuff they break"
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Vic20
Thanks,
I must say, for the record that my transition to plusnet has not been a smooth one. Firstly, my telephone was switced three days before the broadband was due, leaving me with no ADSL connection for that period.
Secondly, just after my order I received a text to say BT would come  on the 14th of November to do the work. It was only when I checked this as a result of the early switch of the phone did I find that they were actually booked to come on the 13th (i.e today), leaving me to frantically switch my days off work.
I now have no line at all!

They raised an FTTC order when my parents where switching over to PN phone and so it failed. Only we didn't find out until the day before. Trust me cock ups a plenty going on.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Mostly by Openreach and it's subcontractors.
Welcome Vic20, sorry to hear you've had such an abysmal experience, did you notice if the non-engineer that came to do your install was Kelly or Quinn, or was it a genuine Openreach person?
Vic20
Dabbler

It was indeed Kelly. He said all his installs had been 'not behaving' today.  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Sounds more like he was totally incompetent and hadn't been trained properly either Angry
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

For the record, as well as a new fault report, I've raised a complaint to Openreach for you. All the references are on your ticket.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
petecov44
Grafter

Trust me - as someone who has watched (and admired) his efforts to resolve things..
There is nothing on this planet funnier than Mr T having a rant on the phone to Openreach..
You are a legend Tony!  Grin
Vic20
Dabbler

Thanks Tony.
At around 14:15 the phone rang! A BT engineer at the cabinet had just made the correct connection. Is your phone working?  " It is now", I said!
Modem sync now up and a quick Wired speedtest gives 37.5Mbps download and 17.2Mbps upload.
I guess a large air gap in the BT cabinet isn't favourable?  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Well, I'm glad you got some prompt action - let's hope Tony didn't get a sore throat giving Openretch a lot of earache Wink
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: petecov44
There is nothing on this planet funnier than Mr T having a rant on the phone to Openreach..

Trust me, as the person who sits next to him.....Nothing has changed.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion

I'm delighted to hear stories like this, that's what we need  Wink