Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Ordered Fibre Optic Online

sharon468
Dabbler

Just Ordered Fibre Optic Online

Hey Guys,

I've just ordered fibre optic broadband, it's finally available, anyway I ordered online and it says my package will start on the 27th of April, so next week which is great.

It doesn't mention anything about an engineer which is find strange. 

I also didn't bother with the Plusnet router as I have a BT Home Hub with the required WAN port.

Will the BT Openreach modem come through the post?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Just Ordered Fibre Optic Online

No engineer will come to your house as all fibre connections are now done on a self install basis.

The BT Openreach modem has not been supplied for some time. You will either need a router with a built in fibre modem (as supplied by Plusnet) or you should be able to purchase a BT Openreach modem on Ebay if you still want to use your existing router. 

sharon468
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Am I correct in saying that I can still use the BT home hub I've been using?

Also, will I have to change anything in the router when fibre goes live? Or will it do it automatically?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there,

As part of submitting the fibre order an engineer will just complete work at the cabinet.
We used to arrange engineer appointments as part of a managed installation, however it was just over a year ago the process changed to self install which means that they won't need access to your property.

As a result of this, we won't be able to arrange for you to receive an Openreach Modem I'm afraid.
If your Homehub is just a router, then you'll either need to purchase a third party modem yourself or order the Plusnet Hub One from us. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I'll check up on your order for you tomorrow as on occasion the normal lead time of 7 days can be pushed back due to engineer availability.

If you have any questions just let me know.

+Edit+

And acr pretty much beat me to it. Smiley @sharon468 If your Homehub is a modem & router built-in it should just switchover automatically to fibre optic once activated.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sharon468
Dabbler

Thanks for replying so quick Smiley

To clarify I have the BT home hub 4. Is that what I need?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Sorry, post deleted, as you already have the information.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I'm afraid the Home hub 4 doesn't have an inbuilt fibre modem.

To use that you will need a fibre modem. The alternative is to get the Plusnet Hub one which is basically the same as a BT Home hub 5 and has a built in fibre modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sharon468
Dabbler

No problem, thanks for replying Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I believe the Homehub 4 is fibre compatible but it doesn't contain a fibre (VDSL2) modem so you'll probably need a fibre modem to work with it.

+Edit+

Again I was beat to it. I'm getting slow today. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sharon468
Dabbler

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'll order the Plusnet One Hub.

sharon468
Dabbler

Ok it seems as though the Plusnet router was ordered which is great.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just checking up on your order, it's been confirmed by our suppliers for the 27th April.

You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning, advising the product change is complete. I'd expect the actual work to be carried out during normal business hours.

Please feel free to let us know how you get on.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Ok it seems as though the Plusnet router was ordered which is great.

BTW the PlusNet Hub one router should auto configure itself. It will also work on both ADSL and Fibre so when you get it, you can use it on your existing ADSL connection and then it will automatically sort itself out when your Fibre upgrade happens. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sharon468
Dabbler

Hey guys

So fibre optic has just been activated and I've noticed something strange in the router stats. It says the max I can get is 126Mb down and 43Mb up.
Would it be possible to get this?

Information for Helpdesk agents

When contacting the Plusnet Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your Plusnet Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: [removed]
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:33:25
6. Data rate: 19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 43166 / 126298
8. Noise margin: 23.9 / 19.7
9. Line attenuation: 11.3 / 9.8
10. Signal attenuation: 11.3 / 9.8
11. Data sent/received: 25.3 MB / 41.7 MB
12. Broadband username: [removed]@plusdsl.net
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-SXMZ
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-SXMZ
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: a4:08:f5:92:ef:ec
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Personal information removed from a public forum.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

NO! You are connected at the maximum FTTC sync rates already. The reported maximum data rates are calculated by the modem and show that if the service was not limited by the BT systems higher speeds would be possible.