cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Plusnet soon: Router recommendations

MrFraggle
Grafter

Joining Plusnet soon: Router recommendations

After looking at a review of the router I have been sent and not being impressed I am looking to buy something a bit better.
Cost is an issue at the moment as I am looking to buy a GTX 970 shortly so looking for budget recommendations please.
6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Joining Plusnet soon: Router recommendations

rather than just reading a review, it might be a better idea to actually use it for a period of time so you can form your own judgement (rather than basing your opinion on someone else's judgement).
MrFraggle
Grafter

Review. So not "just someone else's judgement' But thanks for you input.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/plusnet-fibre-router-review-setup-performance-verdict-page-2
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135846.0.html  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It's strange to see the PlusNet supplied router receive so much regular criticism and avoidance. My ADSL connection and reliability improved leaps and bounds when I switched to it (I think due to the chipset working well with the equipment at my local DSLAM) and my Fibre's been pretty much perfect since it went in. Don't think I've seen a PPP drop in coming up to a month shortly after connection. It sets itself up and configures itself too upon connection and is then remotely managed by PlusNet as far as any firmware updates/re-configs go. Have never really used wireless extensively as a LAN connection has to me always had an edge over wireless but all the same I do get a solid, fast wireless service to my Windows Phone with it. Also you can Telnet into it and view/tweak quite a few of the settings where a lot of other routers won't let you do that.
I'd give it a go and see what you think before investing in more kit personally.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Prior to my fibre being installed ,I was on the verge of buying a "better" router.
I used my Plusnet supplied router TG582n,I found very little reduction in WiFi performance in my house (which a 100 year old property) with solid brick walls.
Wired I get around 30Mbs, wireless about 25Mbs at furthest point from router. Even outside on a deck area I receive 10-15Mbs.
Hence I have stayed with what was supplied. I am aware that many other people find this router below par. My daughter included she lives in a1950s bungalow the same router was useless for WiFi.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: MrFraggle
Review. So not "just someone else's judgement' But thanks for you input.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/plusnet-fibre-router-review-setup-performance-verdict-page-2

a review is someone else judgement of the product.
unless you have some other definition of the word review.