cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Plus Net Fibre from Non Plus Net ADSL?

john10001
Grafter

Joining Plus Net Fibre from Non Plus Net ADSL?

If someone wishes to join Plus Net Fibre and are presently on a regular ADSL service with someone else how is this processed? Is it done as a transfer or new install?
When I first got fibre broadband where I am a BT engineer came out and installed it. It had a special Fibre router (Huawei) which goes into the standard Wi-Fi router (Netgear) which then goes to my desktop pc and wireless devices.
If someone is already on an ADSL service with someone else but has never had fibre before does a BT engineer still need to come out and install it and put the special Fibre router box in? This is the bit I am a bit confused about because on the PlusNet site it says you don't have to take their router if you don't want to but it is Free of charge except for a £7 p&p fee if you do take it. If you are on ADSL and already have a router wouldn't you still need the special fibre box even if you still take the Plus Net router? And wouldn't it still need to all be installed by BT? The town this is for have only just had fibre activated on the exchange (very late to the game!) and BT have only just started taking orders for it.
Cheers!
4 REPLIES 4
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Joining Plus Net Fibre from Non Plus Net ADSL?

I moved from Sky ASDL to Plusnet Fibre in December. The engineer did the work at the cabinet and that was that. I had my own VDSL compatible modem/router, but now that Plusnet are sending out HubOne's there is no need for a seperate OR modem even if you're using the one supplied by Plusnet.
You'd need to check the router can also function as a modem and is fibre compatible.
john10001
Grafter

Ah! That explains it.
Do you know if the TP Link TD-W8970 ADSL2+ 300 Mbps N Router can function as the fibre modem too and is VDSL compatible?
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

nope it won't work
see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html for ones which will
john10001
Grafter

Thanks!
I guess I will just pay the £7 postage for the Plus Net device then when I order and I can then use the TP Link as an extension for transmitting Wi-Fi on the second floor to cover all areas of the home.