Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined PlusNet for a trashy connection?

FIXED
Faisal787
Dabbler

Joined PlusNet for a trashy connection?

I joined PlusNet not long ago, after switching from Sky.  So far all has been a pretty smooth and good experience, however I am not pleased with the broadband at all.

With Sky, I had a minimum guaranteed speed of 59 Mb and my speeds would never drop below 60 Mb.  PlusNet on the other hand gave me a minimum guaranteed speed of 49 Mb (don't understand why it's 10 Mb less than Sky) and the speed has frequently dropped below this, where the router disconnects and reconnects at a slower speed.  I've put up with this as I know it can take a couple weeks to adjust after you join a new provider, but now 2 weeks are up and the stability is still not there.

The router randomly disconnects and reconnects at slower speeds, or sometimes doesn't bother reconnecting at all.  I have really high ping spikes while gaming (something which has never happened with Sky or Virgin Media, they had complete disconnections but high ping spikes were unheard of for me).

Why am I all of a sudden getting these constant disconnections with PlusNet and high ping spikes while gaming? Also, if my speed is constantly dropping below the MINIMUM GUARANTEED, why is nothing being done about it? I would have expected PlusNet to be monitoring this?

I'm working from home today and having to revert to my crappy 4G connection because the PlusNet connection decided to disconnect again and hasn't bothered reconnecting for a good while now, it's taken me 15 minutes to clone a git repository.  Not happy at all.

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Joined PlusNet for a trashy connection?

@Faisal787 

Your speed is not constantly monitored by Plusnet, you have to report speed problems.

You do not say if your problems are over a wired or wireless connection to your router. There are currently problems with the 5GHz band on the Plusnet Hub, which might be a factor. The first thing to determine is whether your computer is suffering these drops etc. when connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Faisal787
Dabbler

Finally reconnected at slower than minimum guaranteed speed of 49 Mbps.

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 10.53.38.png

Faisal787
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1, I am talking about the line speed to the router.

In terms of connection, while i am gaming I am wired up via Ethernet on my desktop.

For work I'm on my WiFi on the laptop.

Also, I am just making a point about the minimum guaranteed speed really, it's false advertisement because it doesn't do what it says on the tin and that's why I would expect to be told of a problem, rather than have to report it.  The amount of disconnections I have had and speed drops below the min makes it unfeasible to report every occurrence.  Appreciate all providers say this, but the point still stands.

Baldrick1

@Faisal787 

You obviously have connection problems with your DSL. No doubt Plusnet will recommend checking from your test socket but as it worked fine with Sky it’s very likely to need Openreach intervention. A Plusnet staffer will most probably be along in a bit and pick this up.

If you have problems with your WiFi then this is the relevant post https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363#M15510

Moderator and Customer

Faisal787
Dabbler

Well the speed has been fine with Sky but I did have occasional disconnections (no where near as much as PlusNet though) and the same with Virgin Media (who had even less disconnections).  PlusNet disconnections feel like they are almost daily and the ping spikes will happen multiple times during gaming.

With Sky, I had a strange thing happen where one day I got a text saying there is a fault on my line and an Openreach engineer will come over soon.  My internet was working fine that day and had been for as long as I could remember, so was a bit surprised and thought it may be spam.  However, an Openreach engineer did actually turn up and say he had to run a lot of tests, he was getting issues on his equipment and said he will have to come back the next day.  When he came back he still had issues showing up on his equipment so carried on testing (note my broadband was still working fine at over 60 Mbps during this time).  Eventually, he found some wire connected to the master socket (which has probably been there for 15+ years) and disconnected that, then he seemed to pass his tests and left.  It was a bit strange since my internet had been working fine at 60+ Mbps during this time, but was impressed that they monitor and send out an engineer.

This actually happened a few weeks before I joined PlusNet so would expect any line issues to be in good order considering that Openreach engineer was at my property for a good 2 days running all sorts of line checks inside and outside my property.

Baldrick1

@Faisal787 

The tests you need to do to check are:

1. Take the front off the BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket.

2. Plug a wired phone in here and do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 then selecting option 2. If there’s any noise report a phone, not broadband fault.

3. Plug your micro filter into the Test socket and connect your router. If you still have problems then the fault is definitely caused by either the Plusnet supplied equipment or with your upstream broadband connection.

Leave it in this configuration for Plusnet to do their checks.

Moderator and Customer

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Faisal787

Thanks for highlighting this - you actually have an external fault on your line which is affecting your speeds and connectivity. I've raised this for you and provided further information here.

Best wishes

Dave

Faisal787
Dabbler

Hi Dave,

Thanks, what does that mean exactly? Will an engineer need to come inside my property? Do I need to run any tests before he arrives?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Faisal787

I've provided further details on the ticket that I've linked, but to clarify, an engineer will not be required to attend your premises as the fault is located externally in the BT network.

Thanks

Dave

Faisal787
Dabbler

Great, thank you.  Hopefully this will resolve my issues, other than this connection problem it's been a great experience so far.

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Fix

Hi @Faisal787

I hope the fault is resolved as soon as possible, I'm sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused. Should you have any further queries in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Thanks! -Katie

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
Faisal787
Dabbler

Thanks, the engineer came and confirmed their is a "massive fault" on the pole outside my house and fixed it.  The connection has been significantly better since (although did have a couple disconnections).  Speed seems to be locked at 63 Mb and the internet is usuable again.

So looks like this is solved, I appreciate the bill credit for the downtime.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks great to see. Thanks for your patience and for letting us know. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team