cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U router

FIXED
OshB5
Grafter

Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U router

Right first of all Iv been with Force9 since the days of 2400 bps LOL. so well over 20 years and have never had a problem. I think 5-6 years ago I switched to cable (FTTC) I think using the supplied BT modem plugged into a DSL- N55U and after a few teething problems I got it all up and running smoothly.

And that is how it's been for the last 5 years and believe me I have downloaded hundreds of gigs a month. Then a couple of weeks ago I tried to log into the main site and I could not so tried on another pc and the same happened   So not thinking and/or reading the reason why it was not letting me in (Which now I can see that it has something to do with content not secure ) Or words to that effect or meaning.. So before I'd realised the password was no doubt still the one Iv been using I'd reset it. So I had a new password for my user name. But at that time my internet was still working .  

Now this is where it gets naughty Iv had quite a few health problems over the last 15 years triple bypass that did not work 3 vertebra just crumbling and my memory and smell are failing hence I write stuff down or make notes about it

Right sorry for this taking so long. But it will come clear now I hope.  On the 24th of Dec I rang support and managed to get another 18month deal at a fair price and with the extra speeds doubling what I was on. I was told I should see my new speeds settle by the new year. But I saw no speed increase at all so I messaged them but never got a reply  So rang the tech dept 3 days ago  and after the guy had checked he said sorry it was never auctioned and nothing put through for but to change me to the higher speed  He then said Iv requested it and it is supposed to be done in 72 hours but don't be shocked if it's done tonight.  Anyway I was using my internet all night till around 5-6am as I dont sleep but then around 9am I knoticed that my internet was down and I tried a few things then started with the router. as I thought that it must be that Iv changed my main username password so I thought it must be that  But before I did anything I rang Tech again and asked what they could see from their side and he said it was a problem with my router not authenticating my name *******@f9.co.uk and password so I knew it was changing my password and upgrading my speed that had caused the stoppage

However since the modem and router has worked flawlessly for the last 5 or so years I'd never made a note as to what the password for it was. But I'm sure I knew it but again I think the content and not secure played a part in me not getting into the router. So the only way in was by resetting the router which I did.

Anyway after the reset everything seems to have gone and the craps hit the fan. I start the laptop and plug into the router and I can see it has reset both the 2.4g and the 5g wifi to factory settings so must have done them as well. But it also came up with cable not connected and none other than the cat 5 I'd unplugged from my desk to plug this laptop but when you get the onscreen graphics come up it shows that it looks like the line is not connected or working . So I wondered if the setting ppoE or ppoA  may be set wrong.  Which is also causing me another problem in that the first screen comes up and asks for your user name (********@f9.co.uk and password ) then asks you what country then what Wifi. Iv been putting OTHER ISP I wasn't sure f to put BT or not. Then I'm asked for a password for the 2.4g and 5g WiFi's  Then tells you to press next. And it won't move from there cos it says cable not connected or missing.  So you pull out of it and try to log on again and I'm back to the original problem.

I CANNOT GET BACK INTO THE SETUP GRAPHICAL INTERFACE  

So its got to the stage where I'm looking which window is the closest for it to be thrown through if you know what I mean  Plussince all my health issues Iv no longer got the methodical temperament to sit and work at a steady calm pace. Which itself is also another problem for me.  I used to be able to sort out stuff like this in my sleep. I know stuff and tech has moved on but not this much at all I know it's me and my failing body and memory. But hopefully with some input from you guys I might be able to sort it.  Also as a just in case Iv got them to send me a free hub one out and I just pay the postage. So if I still cannot get it up working I should be able to slip that in place and get up n running again.  And till then I'm piggybacking on my next doors wifi which they know about but it's so slow. Lol. But I'm thankful just for mail and this.

Anyway all the best and any help great appreciated regards Osh

9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U route

Plusnet probably told you to do a (probably unneccessary) factory reset - which would wipe out all your passwords.

You need to get on the phone and obtain all necessary user names & passwords.

Don't let them fob you off.

Get them to talk you through the setup all the way until you get a proper connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U ro...

Hi Osh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear of the issue accessing the router and apologise if this has caused you any inconvenience.

From the sound of it if you have recently signed up to a new Fibre contract you will most likely have migrated to a Plusnet username as opposed to your previous one, which will still exist but purely for your f9 email or domain. Your new Hub One router will be using your Member Centre details for login, and your call to the Technical Support Team will have resulted in a reset of your Plusnet username login which came into effect the moment you reset the router.

I'd suggest you contact our Technical Support Team on 0800 432 0200 (between 07:30 to 22:00 daily) to clarify the username you now need to authenticate your login.

Please note that call volumes to our support teams are frequently high, so you may experience wait times longer than usual.

If you wish to access the Hub One router, enter the address http://192.168.1.254 via a browser window, and use the 'admin' username and password details found on the back of the router to access the router interface.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Thanks - LF

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U route

Fix

@OshB5 

As well as inputting your Plusnet User Name and Password you also need to set the N55U up to work with the bridged fibre modem.

The following settings, which I believe that I used when I used one of these ADSL modem routers to work with a fibre modem on a fibre connection might help. Note that the Openreach Modem needs to be connected to LAN Port 1.

Asus 1 - Copy.pngasus2 - Copy.png

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OshB5
Grafter

Quote (Plusnet probably told you to do a (probably unneccessary) factory reset - which would wipe out all your passwords.

You need to get on the phone and obtain all necessary user names & passwords.

Don't let them fob you off. ) Quote

Hi Vileeynard thank you but No I cannot blame tech support as this was my fault in that I could not remember the password to the router so in the end after hours of trying to put in the password I thought it was I could not get in. So in desperation I reset the router.  And I logged back on to windows and the site came up and first asked me to change the router password which I did then it asked country then which isp and as I said I put in UK and other isp. I did not know wether to put  enter the BT profile or not. Anyway then it asked for passwords for both 2.4 and 5gwifis then next   Which is when it came up with cable not connected. 

So clicked on home button. That's when I could get to all the pages so I could put in all the setting. Which I no longer have   So I logged out and started to try to find anything to help and that's when I first read about fttc and wondered which mine was set to and if it was set wrong would that be the reason for the cable not connected message. 

But as soon as I tried to log back on I couldn't. At first I thought it was a wrong password but on checking my phone memo area I saw it wasn't But it was the same on all my 3 browsers on my iPad and also the same for desktop and laptop browsers With all giving the same reason and that being Connection Is Not Private.?  

?With the only way back in. However Iv got a old laptop somewhere with win7 on  so I'm going to try n find that and see if that works if not I'm not sure other than wait for the one that Plusnet are sending out to me?Huh

has anyone else had this problem. It is also preventing me from logging on to Plusnets site. When I know Iv got the right password.  But none them will sort out my router problem will they

regards Osh

OshB5
Grafter

Re: Iv made a right huge mess here by upgrading my speed, main password but not in my DSL-N55U ro...

Hi Lordfoul 

thanks for the reply. Iv been on the Middle contract and getting 36mbps for the last 4-5 years with no problems or stoppages, timeouts or anything for all that time then since I rang to renew my contract it was the lady I spoke to that offered me the upgrade to the fastest contract. And it was over Xmas when I was looking at my account that I had the first problems with signing into my account. And that is when I changed the password for the main username for my account Then when I first rang tech a few days ago when they said nothing had been done about getting it updated then it looks like as soon as it was upgraded it picked up on the password change so I got no internet.   So that is when I rang tech again and asked if they could help and the reply was that there was a issue in Plusnet not being able to authenticate my routers logo which he said should be "username@f9.co.uk and current password. So I'm still under theforce9 banner but even though Iv got the right info for the router to authenticate it won't if it's not set up with the right settings to be able to log on will it

which is where I am now. Tech also said sorry but they are not equipped to be able to give help with setting up non Plusnet routers?  Which is understandable. And the reason I asked for the current new modem/router sent out to at least get me up n running. I hope that is?  Can I ask what is the one they supply like in performance wise is it a gigabit with gigabit lan ports? 

thank you

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since you've started a new contract, you are entitled to a free (+ P&P) Plusnet router of the appropriate type.

For fibre the standard Hub 1 has gigabit ethernet LAN ports.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@OshB5 

As well as inputting your username and password into your Asus router you also need to change settings on the Internet and Dual WAN pages to get it to work with the fibre modem. I have posted the settings that you need on the screen grabs that I included in my earlier post.

Have you checked that these are correctly set?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OshB5
Grafter

Hello thank you. It helped a lot to be able to see something in front of me And was almost spot on other than to get it working I had to switch on the enable wan and connect to dns automatically.  But like I said a huge help.  And sorry I did not get back to you sooner.as almost as soon as I got it polling and running we was away for a long weekend at friends leaving the daughter and boyfriend here with some peace n quite while they do their final dissitation for uni. And we got back last night. So now just about to run my first speed check..  in the hope it's gone up.  Also the new hub one arrived this morning  I will see how my Asus DSL-N55U is working first and then give the hub one a try  But I'd like to keep the Asus as it's got so many features and I know I used to have quite a few setup for the gaming and such things so don't know how the hub one would cope with those items? I will keep you informed as to how it goes and also my speed update.!,

Anyway thanks again best regards Osh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @OshB5 

No problem, let us know how it goes and if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet