cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its time to leave! Slow/range/router problems

meadman75

Its time to leave! Slow/range/router problems

my contract is due ot end in july.  thank god!

I have not been happy with plusnet product since I started my contract.  The router was noisy (like a hard drive whirring) so i read i could remedy this by changing to 2.4ghz.  I did this but this just seemd like a bypass on a substandard product.  Have had from day one streaming issues and slow to load webpages/social media feeds.  This problem is very inconsitent, works soemtimes and not others.  difficulity streaming music to Sonos players.  Range is poor - difficulty connecting to wifi from the garden (10mts ish with few obstacles between).  Checked all connections and troubleshooted but according to plusnet service is always 'Good'.  Sorry Plusnet but you wont be seeing a contract renewal from me come 22nd July.

Anyone else had similar issues?

5 REPLIES 5
schrimy

Re: Its time to leave! Slow/range/router problems

I have had range issues since I 'Upgraded' to fast fibre 18 months ago. Had two routers, ut this solved nothing. Tech guys very helpful, but never get to the issue. I even had to buy  a range extender, but the router often loses communication with that, even though is only ten feet away. My old tecnicolour router was far better.!!!!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@meadman75 

Maybe if you had come to this forum with your problem last August you would have received advice that resolved your issue, rather than leaving it until now to just complain.

Plusnet hubs are not good, which is why many of us use a BT Smarthub, available from auction sites for very little money. Such is part of the price you pay from choosing a budget ISP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @meadman75 I've looked over your account and ran some tests, I couldn't find a fault but it sounds wireless related only. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be leaving us, in the time being you could try changing wireless channels not just disabling signals. I hope this helps Smiley

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
meadman75

Why thank you for your kind advice! I have been in contact with Plusnet a couple times and have been advised accordingly. I’m not stupid and have taken all necessary actions to address it, but, nothing seems to have worked.

I, like many Im sure, did my research before joining plusnet and for the most, reviews were very good. Better may I add than most ‘prominent’ suppliers who I have also used in the past. I also believe that plusnet work with BT and judging by the hub each use I would say they fly off the same production line!

So again I’d like to thank you for your advice. I took to this forum because I have had no luck with Plusnet and was looking for a place to vent my frustration. It seems that these forums are frequented by people that help and people like yourself who do not even subscribe to plusnet! I ask myself why?!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@meadman75 

You are quite correct, there are many fellow customers on this forum that do their best to help. This includes advice that you are unlikely  to get from Plusnet. For example, how  to improve wireless problems at minimal  cost including how to set up a BT Smarthub to work on the Plusnet service. The Plusnet Hub One underneath the hood is an old BT Home Hub 5a with flaky tweeked firmware.

Assuming that your closing statement is directed at me, I am a Plusnet customer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'