Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It would be wonderful to have a DEFINITIVE answer from PN

FIXED
ArthurDent
Grafter

It would be wonderful to have a DEFINITIVE answer from PN

As previously recorded, my contract is due for renewal on Monday 18th. Been in touch and am getting varying answers from the various people I have spoken to about upload speed. Some PN folk say that the U/L on my 40mb/s package will stay at 20mb/s. Some say that it will reduce to 2 mb/s (less than my Virgin offer). Because of changing family circs (e.g. grandkids) this is v unlikely to be sufficient. So who was I to believe?

Last Chance Saloon, now so I spoke to PN again just now. Unbelievably, I was told that I had never had 20 on my particular package - it's always been 2. Yet I've got innumerable speed test results from bt, thinkbroadband and ookla confirming a steadily achieved average of 13ish against 20!

Come on PlusNet. Get your act together. 

5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: It would be wonderful to have a DEFINITIVE answer from PN

Fix

Do a BT Wholesale speedtest, (ensure you do the second test / further diagnostics, that will record your down and up profiles) and post the result here for evidence if you like.

If you're on a 40/20 package (as I am) and you renew (rather than change to a new package) then you should keep your current package speeds (both up and down), I kept mine when I renewed, I'm pretty sure there's been no stated policy change since then.  Many of the newer staff may even be unaware of the old 40/20 package.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The account is currently 40/20. If you were to re-contract and not change package, what w23 has said is correct.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ArthurDent
Grafter

Many thanks, guys, for your prompt and helpful responses. Herewith, as requested, tests carried out just this minute:

BT (2nd)                   D/L 37.73, U/L 13.63, Latency 35.64

ThinkBroadband       D/L 37.45, U/L 14.77, Latency 16

Ookla                        D/L 37.66, U/L 15.00, Latency 19

These are typical of results reported for yonks. U/L has never been much of a consideration but with sprogs taking up residence who knows.

damianiw
Hooked

Why plus net do a 40/2 is beyond me, so many people I know tempted to join but don't because they can't get more than 38 down so having to pay for the higher speed to get an equivalent download to competitors just puts them off 

ArthurDent
Grafter

My understanding from a source at PN (who'd better remain nameless) is that it's down to what they have to pay BT. So I can understand them adjusting their offer to new punters who, let's face it, get a pretty hot deal initially anyway. That doesn't excuse an alteration at renewal of an existing contract without a yes/no/kissmya***e, which is arguably debatable in law anyway. Nor does it excuse PN staff giving conflicting information.

The only reaction from the person I spoke to today was to try to upsell me to the higher speed D/L offering.