cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's BACK!!! The HubOne "Home Network" router reboot bug!

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

It's BACK!!! The HubOne "Home Network" router reboot bug!

Plusnet!!!

Your bug is back!

Simply log into the HubOne, into the advanced settings and click on "Home Network". This is guaranteed to reboot the router instantly!

This was a problem previously and then mysteriously for no apparent reason at all, the bug vanished and the page worked.

Today it's back. Someone somewhere has screwed with our router again and pushed a sneaky update because for no apparent reason at all, the "Home Network" link causes the router to reboot the second it is clicked.

Whoever it is that is maintaining the firmware for the device and rolling it out to them, has screwed something up again or reverted back to old code by accident. Please would you mind contacting them to get this fixed?

I see in the log that the router authenticated with BT last night.. presumably thats when it was updated by them. Please stop doing this. The router was supplied as a freebie by you guys in exchange for a contract. This does not mean that you still retain the right to access it or modify it and frankly when it does happen, it's screwing up.

23:37:55, 01 Nov. (549118.770000) CWMP: session completed successfully
23:37:55, 01 Nov. (549118.610000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo
23:37:53, 01 Nov. (549116.730000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
48 REPLIES 48
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: It's BACK!!! The HubOne "Hone Network" router reboot bug!

Has the firmware been updated?

The "phone home" bit really does not show much.

7up
Community Veteran

The phone home bit shows a LOT considering it usually says it can't resolve the host.

20:16:29, 02 Nov. ( 71.420000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
20:16:29, 02 Nov. ( 71.400000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

In other words plusnets DNS blocks it at all times unless convenient for them. Presumably they update routers in batches geographically or something.

This is a pain because somebody has broken ours - again. It means that i cannot see who / what is connected to the router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It just shows it got through this time, if it had done something it would have shown that too.

So, has it updated the firmware?

7up
Community Veteran

What does it normally say then? - you're of course assuming that the firmware is coded to make it log something. I am of course complaining about the firmware...

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Hopefully @bobpullen might see your post, as I suspect he is the only one who might get to the bottom of this one..

7up
Community Veteran

You've not answered my question though have you. You've stated something supposedly in order to help me but failed to back it up when i've queried it.

And yes, I'm well aware that Bob or someone else at PN is the only chance of sorting this out.. thats why I posted TO THEM!!!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Its been a while since I had a HH5 on my line, but equally you have not answered my initial question - has the firmware been updated?

Also, you have not backed up anything to say that a "phone home" has changed something on your router. Or trying to take anything away from what you have said, only trying to support your thinking - at least we are keeping your post near the top of the list 😉

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If you want to disable the remote management of your router then I can do that. You'll not receive any future updates though.
Regarding any recent update, there has been none. The last significant update (which I helped coordinate), was to resolve the PPP disconnections caused by saturating the upstream link, and that was a couple of month's back.
The router will call home periodically, which is what the CWMP logs show.
Interested to hear if anybody else can replicate this issue?
What devices do you have connected to the hub and how? i.e wired or wireless?
Edit: the firmware revision and last update time is in the footer of the router GUI. What does it say?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

Bob!

The router footer shows: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 04/08/17

The problem is that I don't believe it. Why would something just decide to stop working on a device that essentially has had no code change since August?

Before you ask, yes I've turned it off for a few minutes and then back on - it makes no difference.

It was like this when you sent it to us. The link to that page would crash the router - on any device. Even with just my netbook plugged in and nothing else connected to it. Login, hit the home network page and the blue light would instantly go orange and then green on the front of the unit. It's a menace! Then it started working when it was updated. Now it doesn't again.

At the time of posting earlier I had just the desktop PC connected. Then I tried the admin page from my phone, same thing. Netbook does the same too. 

So Bob, just for you, I've just made you a video on my phone - just my netbook connected (as you'll see) and it has the exact same effect as the desktop PC:

@bobpullen wrote:
Regarding any recent update, there has been none. 

Not quite true that is it Bob. Over in this thread:https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-Firmware-Updates/td-p/1336565/page/4

Kadinsky posted that they have this: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217 | Last updated 22/10/17

LESS THAN A FORTNIGHT AGO!!!

Kevin
Rising Star

Does it reboot if you take the usb stick out of the Hub?

Kevin.
7up
Community Veteran

Watch the video Kevin. There is no USB stick in it.

Kevin
Rising Star

Sorry, it's late and I didn't pay enough attention. It's one of the feet!!!!

Never seen a Hub One in the flesh before. Who came up with that colour scheme?? Funny

Kevin.
jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Their router updated because they did a factory reset and I think you will find it updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.217 which is older firmware possibly from last year. The latest firmware which was pushed a while ago is 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 which you are already using so bob isn't lying is he. Also mine phones home every morning usually at 4am with it always saying success in router log. Perhaps you should do a factory reset to see if this resolves the problem or take bob's option of having remote management disabled altogether if you are convinced your settings are being altered.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i dont use the PN router .

But from what i read here , 7up has had a update that created a bug previously removed in a older update .

So thing i ask is Just because 7up noticed it it wont mean its just his router , but he may be the only one who noticed and highlighted it here , the answer is not for 7up to turn off auto updates .

But the answer is for code writer to check if he has done it correctly , or to remove the update untill its fixed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .