cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with wifi

Andbhoy1980

Issues with wifi

Is anyone experiencing very slow speed with Plusnet Wi-Fi? I don't like the fact we need to be using wired connections to get the speed we pay for. Pointless having a wireless router if it doesn't do the job.

Tried calling numerous times and just been passed on to technical support which were useless. Told me to change channels then hang up! Pure joke of a company. Take our money then increase prices. 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Issues with wifi

@Andbhoy1980  Welcome to the forum.

It is quite difficult to tell from your post whether you are seeking help or have just come here to complain.

If it's the former then have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on the router, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840?

Another option is that Plusnet allow you to use your own modem/router. Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6 as they are available very cheaply from the likes of Ebay. Setting instructions for these are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Andbhoy1980

Yes tried 5g aswel, it seems to be a new router I need then. Plusnet team just didn't do much to help. I have done speed tests on every channel with only 40 mb max result, and my laptop only about 1m away from router. Minimum stating is 62.4mb. I think they are just getting worse. When I first got Plusnet my speeds were amazing but aren't interested as the 28 day cancel period is over! 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Andbhoy1980 

Do you have any other wireless devices that could be causing this? For example a wireless phone located next to the router?

It can also be instructive to use a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone to look at the comparative strengths compared with neighbour's transmissions. It also allows you to manually select the least congested channel.

Plusnet cannot reasonably be expected to take responsibility for wireless problems due to variable local conditions, regardless of the cooling off period This incidentally is 14 days after you first sign up. In many instances this expires before the service goes live.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Andbhoy1980

I have tried wifi analyser app, also I don't have a house phone, I just use mobile for calling. Also when I do speed test I shut down all other devices to make sure it's only the device such as laptop tablet or mobile and router that's on. Only to see if there's any difference in case of older wireless cards or hardware etc. 5g and 2.4g. Just can't find out how it's so slow. I have also tried factory reset the tablet and laptop in case of any apps etc are running in background. Just seems strange. 

When in my girlfriend's I have used all same devices and have no probs getting the maximum speed using wireless. She is virgin though. I'm thinking changing over. Plusnet cant help my problems.