Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with sync after router change

FIXED
Gregg
Grafter

Issues with sync after router change

Hi

I have recently changed my router over to a new one and have been experiencing some sync issues since. 

It has worked with the current setup for a period of a few hours, so I know the configuration of everything is fine. When it was connected it was working at full speed 80/20mbit.  

I have had a stable connection for a number of years since my initial teething problems after I last moved house 2 years ago.  Surely changing the router would not have caused this, it just seems like a big coincidence.  I have tried all the normal stuff, rebooting everything a few times. It says in logs that the pppoe is just timing out and keeps retrying over and over. 

I have an old BT modem in bridge mode that goes to pfsense for PPPOE. I have used this setup for the last 2 years with no issues. Only just upgraded my pfsense as it was getting old. 

I thought there might be a general issue in the area but I don't see any evidence of that. Although I did wait 12 mins on support with no answer before hanging up. 

edit: nevermind I think I fixed it, was a slightly loose rj11 cable, from moving everything around. 

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Issues with sync after router change

No worries, glad to see you sorted it!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gregg
Grafter

Bad news. 

This is not fixed. 

It seems to fall out of sync and then gets stuck trying to pppoe again. This time 1100 reconnect attempts while I was at work. 

Came home from work, took the end out of the wall socket out and put it back in and then it synced right away. 

Any ideas what that could be? definitely doesn't sound like a fault on my end. It is the same filter and wires that were in place last few years. 

Any suggestions on replacing the old HG612 for a vdsl2 modem for bridge mode? Something that would be future proof would be great. I have seen some router for the asian market for ftth and they are 1 and 2 gigabit wan support. Could I get one of those and then put it in bridge mode? 

Gregg
Grafter

So far connected 18 hours without a disconnect. Maybe it is working now. Will see how it goes over the next week. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sounds good, shout up if it becomes a problem or if you'd like to see a record of the connection logs for your account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gregg
Grafter

It disconnected again last night and now refuses to resync. 

Do you think I have a faulty cable somewhere in my setup? is it normal for the sync to be this fragile?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The best way to make sure it's not our cabling is to try another set of cables out if that's possible for you. 

I'd like to check your account as well. Can you drop me a private message with your username please?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Got your PM cheers, line tests are picking up on a fault so I'd try ruling out what you can here https://goo.gl/tu2WWu then report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gregg
Grafter

I didn't report a fault in the end, it just started working. Very stable now.