cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with internet | I am a new PlusNet customer | So far DISAPPOINTED

wwex786
Grafter

Issues with internet | I am a new PlusNet customer | So far DISAPPOINTED

Hi all. A week ago from today I joined PlusNet from previous provider, TalkTalk, and so far I am not happy with the service I am provided. Before joining PlusNet, I was on an ADSL package from TalkTalk and I received 5mb/s on a daily-basis. The only reason I left TalkTalk was because the connection kept disconnecting and it was VERY, and I mean VERY, slow to use. I was told from a friend that PlusNet are offering Fibre Optics for a good price. Up to 38mb/s and it didn't cost as much. So I quickly took the offer. When the time came for activation, I was expecting an engineer from PlusNet to come down my house and install a Fibre Optics box. But they never came. So I had to call PlusNet and ask why, they said "We no longer offer Fibre Optics from the Ethernet port (That's what I expected but I didn't get so i'm upset) instead, we now give it through the DSL connection. Maybe it's not so bad, or so I thought. Ever since the activation date, I have been getting unbelievable speeds. No, not for the better. When I do speed tests I get all sorts of speeds which doesn't make sense. I get 35mb/s after one test, and when I take another, I get around 7-10mb/s! Does that seem right to you? The line is not stable at all and I have asked PlusNet for help but I have got nothing other than the usual "check your wires" ... I sometimes regret going from TalkTalk to PlusNet if I am being treated this way. Please can someone help me? I have tried EVERYTHING and it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else been experiencing this? If a staff-member of PlusNet is reading this, please help me  Angry Sad Cry
23 REPLIES 23
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Issues with internet | I am a new PlusNet customer | So far DISAPPOINTED

Quote from: wwex786
The only reason I left TalkTalk was because the connection kept disconnecting and it was VERY, and I mean VERY, slow to use.

This will be your problem, switching providers does not change the phone line that between your home and the BT cabinet. Both ADSL and FTTC Fibre (to the cabinet) relies on the quality of your phone line.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

"We no longer offer Fibre Optics from the Ethernet port (That's what I expected but I didn't get so i'm upset) instead, we now give it through the DSL connection.

I don't know who said that to you but I would think you may have misunderstood the answer you received whe you spoke to PN . No one in the UK offers a service called "Fibre Optics from the Ethernet Port"
The system Plus Net and all providers except Virgin offer is a service called FTTC short for Fibre to the Cabinet - that's fibre to  a green box in the street, and from there to your home the broadband travels by your existing copper based telephine cable. The system is able to deliver faster speeds than normal broadband over a distance of no more than about a mile and a half as long as the phone line section has no faults.
Is sounds like you expected to be connected tothe FTTC  service but Plus Net were unable to supply it. You may be too far from the exchange or there may not be any circuits available in the green cabinet at the moment. This could change and you could eventually get the FTTC service.
From your comments its obvious you have a fault somewhere on your phone line. It may take ( a long) time to find and fix it but it can be done.
You need to do various tests as suggested by Plus Net. Start here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/
Who do you pay line rental to? If it is PN then its a bit easier to get the fault acknowledged - in my expereince. If it is someone else such as BT then it could be more difficult to get things moving. Whoever it is BT will do the repair. Plus Net is a reliant on BT Open Reach to find and repair faults.
The fault might be with your own phone system including the phone handset .
Good luck -
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

dick:green Quote made in error removed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

"Fibre Optics from the Ethernet port" was probably referring to the separate Openreach VDSL2 modem which is no longer supplied for FTTC, then the service would be provided from an Ethernet port on the modem. It doesn't really make any difference to the speed you can get, but you don't get an engineer visit to fit a filtered faceplate on your master socket (and replace the master socket if necessary), which would help ensure your internal phone wiring isn't a problem.
If they got 35 Mb/s on one speed test that suggests they do indeed have an active FTTC service. If the only problem is variable speed test results, I'd suggest finding something else to do besides running speed tests.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Would also be worth trying those speedtests whilst cabled to the router if you're currently using a WiFi connection. The problem could just as easily be with the wireless connectivity rather than the FTTC connection itself.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wwex786
Grafter

I only use wired connection. I have done the speedtests on both wired and wireless. I always get the same speed Sad Ohh and I have another problem. Ever since I swapped the line to Fibre Optics, my other routers no longer work. The DSL light just keeps flashing as there is no connection available. Why is this? The router also supports Fibre Optics (it has the WAN, red ethernet port).
adie:Quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

you need a vdsl modem, the PN hub one has one built in - the ones you are trying to use do not by the sound of it.
ADSL modem / routers will not work.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wwex786
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
"Fibre Optics from the Ethernet port" was probably referring to the separate Openreach VDSL2 modem which is no longer supplied for FTTC, then the service would be provided from an Ethernet port on the modem. It doesn't really make any difference to the speed you can get, but you don't get an engineer visit to fit a filtered faceplate on your master socket (and replace the master socket if necessary), which would help ensure your internal phone wiring isn't a problem.
If they got 35 Mb/s on one speed test that suggests they do indeed have an active FTTC service. If the only problem is variable speed test results, I'd suggest finding something else to do besides running speed tests.

Is there any other way I can test it then? I have tried downloading files. I get around 4.3MB a second (That is 35 MegaBits). Then it just dips completely to 1MB (0.125) and then to 900kbs. For all downloads. It starts off high then just dips after like 1 minute. Sometimes if I reset my PlusNet hub (just switching it off and on) The speeds go back to what they should be (25-35MB/s)
wwex786
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
you need a vdsl modem, the PN hub one has one built in - the ones you are trying to use do not by the sound of it.
ADSL modem / routers will not work.

Are you serious?  Sad That is a shame.... I always use my Sky router as that works good. So I can only use my PN hub now?  Sad
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Reading between the lines , I wonder do you keep discinnecting your router? If you do then line stabilty will suffer and you may get poor speeds as a result. You need to keep the router on 24/7 .
Switching it off or swapping it with other equiprmtn could be the reason you are seeing varying speeds. The  reasons for this are automatic exchange responses to disconnections which attempt to deliver the best possible speed to you .
What equipment have you been supplied with by Plus Net for your Fibre connection? If it is the hub one you should have received a set up guide http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-setup.shtml & also a user guide http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-user-guide.shtml
It may be helpful for you to read up on how VDSL / FTCC works  and the difference between it and standard ADSL broadband .
Also you can start to diagnose  problems at the same time and go through the troubleshooter here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml
wwex786
Grafter

I got a PlusNet hub, an Ethernet wire, a power cable for the Hub and a ADSL wire. I am using all of them. I do not keep disconnecting my hub. I will only do so if the connection dips for no reason
dick:quote
cedlor
Grafter

I also read that you were disconnecting the hub - you have only been on 1 week you sayAND  you also say you have tried your old routers.
Which type of master socket do you have and if it is a single phone type are you using the supplied filter.
If it is a double you probably should not be using the filter.
wwex786
Grafter

I am using a BT Openreach master socket with a Microfilter supplied from Plusnet. It is a single phone type. I have tried replacing the Microfilters but they dont help much. Also tried the test socket and i still get the same results. I am not using any extensions by the way
dick:quote
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Can you log onto the router, go to the troubleshoot/help desk tab, and post the results here. Remove your email details, the serial number and SSID.