cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Webex

Swisschef

Issues with Webex

I am having trouble with accessing the cisco website and with running the Webex test meeting.  Webex support have asked me to check with Plusnet that the network setting are ok.  Webex have given me these links to ask about:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX264/How-Do-I-Allow-Webex-Meetings-Traffic-on-My-Network

https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX000028782/Network-Requirements-for-Webex-Services
Seems to me daft questions to ask Plusnet support on the phone.  Webex Support are from Amsterdam / Germany so don't seem to understand how big the use base is of Plusnet.  

Thought I would ask though, is anyone aware of any issues with using Webex through Plusnet Unlimited Fibre???

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Issues with Webex

Hi @Swisschef,

Are you using any sort of VPN when trying to access this service? If so, it may be worth testing it without it in use, though I appreciate that's probably already been asked at some point.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I haven't had any issues using WebEx on my PN connection.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@Swisschef,
Just a thought, could the Plusnet firewall be set to low or high on your account?
If so try webex with the firewall off.
You will have to disconnect the PPPoE or reboot the router for a firewall change to take effect.
Regards
Richard
Swisschef

As you guessed not using VPN

Swisschef

Just a brief update and thanks to all so far.

Unbelievably: I can host a Webex meeting on my PC; and, I can join a Webex test meeting through my Android Phone using Chrome & the Webex app; whilst linked to the same router by WiFi as my PC is plugged into via Ethernet.

Webex support sent me an invite to a meeting and a training course and neither worked on my PC.

PC is a Dell XPS 8930 desktop with 8MB RAM running win 10 Home and Norton 360, both Chrome & Webex App are set to allow in the Norton Firewall...

Sorry but don't understand what a PPPoE is!  Do my comments above negate the possible firewall concern?  Is using the phone through PlusNet different to using the PC through PlusNet if I am accessing the same website / service after going through PlusNet?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Swisschef wrote:

PC is a Dell XPS 8930 desktop with 8MB RAM running win 10 Home and Norton 360, both Chrome & Webex App are set to allow in the Norton Firewall...

Hopefully you mean 8Gb of ram.

Is using the phone through PlusNet different to using the PC through PlusNet if I am accessing the same website / service after going through PlusNet?

To a degree. The phone won't be accessing Plusnet via your PC but will be via your router direct (assuming you are using WiFi and not a data connection). From the sounds of it you have something on your PC, firewall or AV etc preventing your pc from doing the same  Just a thought, have you tried using your PC via WiFi instead of using an ethernet connection?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
What does this link report for the firewall:
https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband/firewall
As for PPPoE I should have said that rebooting the router after changing the firewall would be another way to make the firewall change take effect.
Regards
Richard
Swisschef

Another update for you all:

1) Following the link tells me that Plusnet firewall is Off

2)  If I link my PC via WiFi (I didn't know I had a card!) I have joined two successive successful test meetings (I will try again tomorrow am as I have managed one or two successes while on Ethernet.  Just to emphasise it is the same Plusnet "Techicolor" router through which I am linking in both cases.

Assuming that it does continue to work via WiFi and not via Ethernet, from the same PC, what could the issue be with?Huh

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What could it be?   Your Laptop network settings. Compare your WiFi and LAN network settings and look for differences.

Swisschef

OK take the point but how do I do that easily, or even with difficulty.  Heh you are dealing with a numpty here sorry...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

On your screen bottom left type Network in the search box, take details, and do the same with the other connection option - are there any differences? Are they both private networks, do they both have network dicovery options? If not, change the other to the one that works.

Swisschef

Thanks for your help everybody - much appreciated situation now resolved.

Easiest way to compare network settings is to go to Cmd line [Windows PowerShell (Admin)] in win 10 and type, followed by enter, these commends

• ipconfig /all > networke.txt    when connected via ethernet; and,
  • ipconfig /all > networkw.txt   when connected via ethernet;

which gives you two .txt files with the params in the C:\windows\system32 folder that you can compare.

I copied the content into an excel spreadsheet (one column for each) to compare and result was nothing wrong, 

However  in doing the research I did find the suggestion to try rebooting my router which I have done and all now works as it should......😀