Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with line speed vs sync speed.

FIXED
FrasMan
Hooked

Issue with line speed vs sync speed.

Hi,

Hope someone can help us here, as I've called customer support twice now and have not had this resolved.

I believe my issue is the same as linked below and that my IP profile speeds need to be set correctly. I believe @MisterW and @Tibzor were able to help with this...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Static-IP-and-reduced-download-speed/m-p/1756449#

Log taken from my router:

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 00:47:25
Downstream:    35.05 Mbps
Upstream:    6.458 Mbps

Log taken from my Plusnet Account:

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 22 - 32Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 4 - 6Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 20.2Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 19.9Mbps

Please can someone take a look at this as I am wits end with phoning and not getting anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Issue with line speed vs sync speed.

@FrasMan  what does the BT Wholesale speed test say for your IP profile  ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FrasMan
Hooked

@MisterW 

Hi there,

Really appreciate the quick response.

Speed test taken now from BTW speed test... https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/details

Basic Speed Test
[Your Diagnostics Results are here]
Broadband Speed Test
Executed Successfully
PING
ms
DOWNLOAD
Mbps
UPLOAD
Mbps

Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@FrasMan You need to continue to the Additional Diagnostics , that will report the IP profiles from the Openreach system. The Plusnet profile (Current line speed) SHOULD follow those. If the PlusNet one is different then it can be corrected by PlusNet staff, if the BT one is wrong (for your synch speed) the it requires Openreach to correct it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FrasMan
Hooked

@MisterW 

Apologies, I misread and thought you were just after the speed test results from BT Wholesale speed check. I have since completed the checks again going to addtional diagnostics and entering my line number. Output below...

Summary of Performance Test

Timestamp
Saturday 13 March 2021 | 14:05:18

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 18.67 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 - 33.93 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 33.93 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 7.04 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps

Thank you!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@FrasMan  The BT IP profile is correct at just under 97% of your sync speed. If you have a static WAN IP address the Plusnet Current Line Speed will be restricting your throughput speed, it should track the BT profile but sometimes get stuck and needs to be adjusted. Sadly this is beyond the experience of most front line support staff so you may have to hope a more experienced staff member sees your post here.☹️

FrasMan
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid 

Thanks for the reply, I do in fact have a static IP address which I purchased sometime ago.

Would removal of the static IP resolve the problem, as I currently have no use for it any more?

Thanks.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Fix

I can't guarantee it but the Current Line Speed should not have any effect on a service with a dynamic IP address, it is something to do with Plusnet using a different network connection for Static IPs.

If you don't need the static anymore it wouldn't hurt to remove it, you may have to drop your connection or restart the modem/router to pick up the new IP address. Hope it works for you.😁

FrasMan
Hooked

Hi @RealAleMadrid @MisterW ,

Appreciate the advice, I'll give the support team a call and ask them to remove my static IP as I can't do it through the member centre and update here with the outcome should anyone else in the future have the same issue as me.

Thanks!

FrasMan
Hooked

Hi @RealAleMadrid @MisterW ,

Just if you encounter users with this issue, removal of the static IP has resolved my problem.

Test results taken from hardwired standalone laptop post static IP removal below...

Timestamp
Saturday 13 March 2021 | 15:54:31
Ping
24 Ms
Download
31.22 Mbps
Upload
7.01 Mbps

Factoring in the throughput from the router, I'd say the speeds are now about right.

Peace out!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@FrasMan wrote:

Just if you encounter users with this issue, removal of the static IP has resolved my problem.

This problem has been around for years. It can also be corrected by getting a knowledgeable Plusnet Staffer (I agree they are like hens teeth these days) to increase the profile to the service max.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Speed looking good now.😊

FrasMan
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

That was my initial thought. Very frustrating experience from a customer perspective, knowing what the issue is, explaining it in great detail and then being told "I'll just test your line" 🙄

I've been with Plusnet for about 6 years now and this isn't the first issue I've had with their contact centre staff and I'm going to switch to a different provider when my contract is up. I'm fed up having an issue and feeling that I have to own the incident to get it progressing when this is something that the staff should be doing. They're about as useful as a three-speed walking stick.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From what I can see the connection profile on your account was set at 19.9mbps due to your sync speed being around then as a result of a fault on the line but when the fault was recently fixed, our systems were a bit slow to update themselves to reflect your IP profile and sync speed had improved. 

I've poked the connection profile up to 35mbps now, although not that it'd now make a difference as you had your static IP removed. Apologies for how this was handled on the occasion you phoned us. Let us know if there are further issues. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet