Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this speed correct?

chimicherry
Dabbler

Is this speed correct?

Hi.
I've been on regular Plusnet broadband for years, and my fibre upgrade went live today. My estimate when purchasing said I should get 59-79 mbps. I am currently getting around 55 mbps, which I realise is only just short of the lower estimate. However, on the Plusnet member centre it is saying that my estimated line speed is 79mbps and the current line speed is 80 mbps. I know that when I first got standard broadband with Plusnet, the speed was all over the place for the first week or two. Will this happen with fibre as well? If not, is this the speed I should get or is there an issue with my line? 55 mbps is definitely a big improvement over the 14 mbps I was getting before, but if it should be 80 mbps I'd like to be getting that speed.
Any help appreciated. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is this speed correct?

Are you performing these tests wired or wireless?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

And are you checking on your router for the sync speed?
chimicherry
Dabbler

I'm testing it wired on my computer, but wireless on my phone using an app gives the exact same speed. I'm checking the sync speed on the BT wholesale website, how do I check it on the router?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

type routerlogin in your browser, and go to the advanced tab - Broadband, or Troubleshooting - Helpdesk tabs, the info is available there. You should turn off smart setup whilst you are logged into it - its a pain!,
chimicherry
Dabbler

Ah, thanks. In my router settings it says 58.58 Mbps downstream, 16.21 Mbps downstream.
Andrue
Pro

So everything is fine locally then. I suspect it's just that your initial estimate was a bit out and Plusnet's systems haven't yet updated to reflect reality.
mav:quote
chimicherry
Dabbler

So is it unlikely to get any higher? I know this doesn't mean anything, but back on ADSL my speed was right at the upper end of the estimate so I was really hoping it would be the same situation with fibre..
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: chimicherry
So is it unlikely to get any higher?
I doubt it. FTTC (and in fact ADSL) connections run at full speed right from the off. Any subsequent speed change will be a reduction.
I know this doesn't mean anything,
You're right. ADSL performance means absolutely nothing when assessing FTTC performance.
chimicherry
Dabbler

Well, that's kind of a shame. But I suppose I shouldn't be complaining - I can download a 20gb game in 40 minutes which certainly isn't something I could have done on ADSL! (Would take more like a couple of days...) 

So if the speed given on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and the speed on my router match, that should be what I get? I ask because I noticed the manual for the router recommends that I plug it into the master socket in my flat. Due to it having a bit of a weird layout, I have to connect it to a the standard socket, and from there it runs on an extension cable. I just wanted to double check that this isn't having a detrimental effect on speeds.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: chimicherry
So if the speed given on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and the speed on my router match, that should be what I get?
Yes but the speed given on the Plusnet portal is derived from your connection speed so if there's a mismatch it indicates a fault in PN's systems somewhere.
the manual for the router recommends that I plug it into the master socket in my flat.
That's the best place to plug it as it eliminates issues caused by your flat's wiring. The same is true for ADSL and in some cases it certainly can impact the connection speed. Your internal wiring can act like an antenna and introduce noise onto your line. It'd be worth looking at how you can plug into the master socket.